Carbonation for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
I bottled up a stout 8 days ago and transferred some to a plastic bottle for reference. It has very little carbonation as of yet, and I was wondering if stouts take a little while longer to carbonate, and should I bottle condition the beer longer than a pale ale?

I had a slow-carbonating strong ale a couple months ago and there were two things I learned from this forum and others:

1. Higher abv causes slower carbonation. I don't know if the alcohol slows the yeast action or what, but that's what I've been told.

2. If you live in a cold climate this time of year (as I do) put the beer in a warmer room (70* or so). I put mine in my water heater/furnace room. Leave it for at least three weeks. Also might be a good idea to swirl the bottles occasionally to get the yeast off the bottom.

Don't know if this solve your probs or not, but this advice was given to me and it worked.

AHU

I think I might try swirling, because the beer came out of the secondary ultra-clear after only a week in the secondary. there is only a fine sediment of yeast at the bottom of my bottles. They are at 68 F and the alcohol content is around 5%, so not too strong.

Also, priming medium makes a difference. Corn sugar is usually a little quicker than DME. I usually give it at least two weeks in the bottle.

depending on if you used corn sugar, which takes at least 10 days, or dry extract which sometimes can take over 4 weeks.

The commercial stouts I have had has been pretty low on the carbonation. Is this a style of stout or just the ones I have been buying?

WhatsOnTap said:
I think I might try swirling, because the beer came out of the secondary ultra-clear after only a week in the secondary. there is only a fine sediment of yeast at the bottom of my bottles. They are at 68 F and the alcohol content is around 5%, so not too strong.
This works every time for me when I have slower carbonation. After I swirl, about a week later things are fine.

Back