ok need some quick advice on sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Ok I know you guys said to get starsan in my other thread but I didn't have time to get it today and is really like to get my first batch in the fermenter this weekend. So my kit came with this no rinse cleanserbut what can I use to sanitize my fermenter and stuff around the house or from Walmart? I know bleach is usable but needs really well rinsed with pre-boiled water. Help? Or should I wait till Monday and go get the starsan

I'd wait for the StarSan, but if you're determined to do this why not just go ahead and use the bleach. Just rinse it really well. I think that's better than nothing.

Bleach will be ok, plain unscented is best, I used it on my first batch, just rinse very well and get star san for next time, bleach is scarry

No its not Mr. Beer its an intermediate Midwest brewing kit with 2 better bottles. But that cleanser is all it came with... :-( I ordered an expensive high gravity recipe kit and don't wanna risk it going bad but I'm dying to get started

Did your bleach batches turn out ok? Just rinse with a ton of pre-boiled water?

I used whatever no-rinse sanitizer came with my kit and it worked fine.

The key if you don't know this already is cleaning and sanitizing. First time around it won't make much difference because your product should be pretty clean outside of dust and the sort. What I use (and there are a ton of options) is a dye and scent free dish detergent to do my cleaning so it's perfectly clean for my next brew so I just rinse dust out and then make my no rinse sanitizer. Starsan will be better than that no-rinse sanitizer though.

Ok another question.

My kit came with oak chips for the fermenter. How do I sanitize them first?

TheCollector said:
Ok another question.

My kit came with oak chips for the fermenter. How do I sanitize them first?

If you're adding during secondary, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The alcohol in the fermenter should be enough to kill any baddies on the chips.

Got my starsan and my spray bottle was gonna brew today but realized I need a thermometer to steep the specialty grains at 155 and I don't have one :-(

Back