Ikea bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy_t

Reaction score
I noticed ikea sell (I think) 1 litre Grolsch style bottles and was wondering if anyone has used them before for carb'd brews? I'm not sure whether they would be designed well enough to take the pressure or are more of an ornament than a useable item?

If they would be sturdy enough, for £2 each they seem a pretty good buy rather than buying crown caps every time.

I picked up one back in January, haven't used it for bottle conditioning but have used it a few times in place of a growler. Worked well for this use at least.

Hi

There are a *lot* of places that sell swing top bottles. I'd sure shop around before I settled on any one source. For that matter, find a friend that drinks Grolsch and cut him a deal for his empties ....

Bob

Grolsch bottles would be ideal and I am keeping my eye on a few lots on eBay at the moment, but it seems like its all northerners who are selling them and want them collected - not easy from Southampton!!

I get the impression that the ikea ones are probably designed to look pretty with pasta in them on a modern kitchen work top rather than carb'd drink, but I may give one a go and report back!

I have used them successfully. They do feel a little weaker than i would like but never had a bottle bomb.

Grolsch bottles would be ideal and I am keeping my eye on a few lots on eBay at the moment, but it seems like its all northerners who are selling them and want them collected - not easy from Southampton!!

I get the impression that the ikea ones are probably designed to look pretty with pasta in them on a modern kitchen work top rather than carb'd drink, but I may give one a go and report back!

Hi

Craigs List is your friend for stuff like Grolsh bottles. Post a "I'll pay 10 cents each" and see how many thousand you get by the weekend.

Bob

Are you talking about the clear bottles?
Those hold at least 2.5 vols, but I wouldn't use clear bottles for beer.
I've bottled Finnish mead (low alcohol bottle carbonated mead) in those.

Back