Have kegs new 2 tier brew station, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klawdawg

Reaction score
I currently have 3 kegs and want to make a 2-tier brew station. I have a burner for the boil and was wondering on incorporating a RIMs system. Being a plumber by trade the plumbing of a RIMs is no prob as with the fuel. My question is can I get away with one pump? Do I pipe it with valves to run the recirc of mash and then throw valves to run the sparge out of HLT with same pump? I'd also insulate mash tun, less burner, with RIMs keeping temp. The HLT would have a low BTU burner to maintain temp for brew water. Any insight would help before the build.

In all honesty you don't need to keep temps up very long. If it were me I'd do a Herms system. I thought about doing a RIMS for a long time. But the simplicity of a HERMS made me change my mind. It works great. Although I don't really use it as much as I initially thought. I get full conversion after 20 min, so It's really there just to bring up temp while recirc before boil. (saves propane :) ) I just used my old 25' copper immersion chiller and some compression fittings (soon to be brazed in place) then attached my QD's and works flawless. It's more of a cool project than a necessity. 2 tier for batch sparges. Not sure why people want to fly sparge these days? I get 85% efficiency from my batch with recirc.

As far as the pump all you really need is a valve on the outlet of the pump to adjust flow. Drain valves on your keggles. Then just normal fittings (QD's)on everything else. you'll just move the hoses unless you hard tube the thing. Then that is a nightmare of valves and what not. But really cool when done. Good Luck

Since you are a plumber and have experience with soldering though I'd definitely suggest soldering/brazing your fittings on those keggles. Sorry for the plug, but I just did this and it is amazing! I hated weldless!

Latest posts

Back