Lazy man's rice wine: would this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
If I put a whole bunch of malted rice syrup (its much cheaper than malt extract here in Korea) with some water in a fermenter with some wine yeast would it turn out tasting OK? Or am I on the wrong track...

It sounds flavorless and a bit "hooch"-like to me. I'd avoid using it as the sole ingredient in a brew. You could use it as an adjunct in place of some of the light extract that your recipes use, though.

Ya I know is sounds hooch-like, which I don't want, but I'm trying to see what would be the difference between this and saki since saki is make with pretty much just rice.

I'm a newbie at fermenting, so I don't want to over-step my bounds, but as a long-term resident of Japan, please allow me to suggest: don't EVER call it "saki". It's sake, which of course is pronounced, sah-kay. ;)

Bosh said:
Ya I know is sounds hooch-like, which I don't want, but I'm trying to see what would be the difference between this and saki since saki is make with pretty much just rice.
Sake uses a mold to break down the starch into sugar. You then ferment it with the rice. Malted rice syrup is going to use a different process to break down the starch and extract the sugar. I would expect this to taste very different and not in a good way. Maybe using it as an adjunct to make a lite beer would be drinkable but just using rice syrup sounds like hooch to me.

Craig

It certainly won't taste like sake. Sake is made with polished rice, not malted rice. Malted rice syrup has the potential for being the base of a rice beer. There are many beers (where beer is defined as a grain-based fermented beverage) that do not use barley, 'opaque' beers based on malted millet are common in Africa and the West Indies.

On the other hand, I suspect fermenting malted rice syrup without anything else in it, wouldn't be very good.

Do you have access to specialty malts and hops? If so, you could experiment with small batches of pales or milds.

Latest posts

Back