Biggest Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterock

Reaction score
I'm not quite ready for AG but I want to make Big beers. What is the biggest beer one can make using extract with or without specialty grains. I would love to make a Barley Wine. Can it be done successfully with extract?
Thanks, Pete

Oh don't be afraid to leave recipes or names of Barley wine for me to try

There is no limit for extract. The size of the beer is only limited by the attenuation of the yeast. You can make a 1125 beer out of extract just as easily as AG. If you go much higher than that you may have trouble getting a yeast to ferment it below 1020. Your final product may taste a bit sweet at that point.

I just brewed the Barley Wine kit from Northern Brewer and its extract with specialty grains. I have no idea how I'm gonna let it sit in secondary for 6 months but I think I'll bottle it after Christmas and sample some. It sure smells good too. I used WLP001 for the yeast with a good starter.

There is no limit for extract.
Hmmm I could've swore I read somewhere that there was some sort of limitation for brewing with extract. I can not remember what though. It might have been something minamal. Any ways :ban: WoooHoooo :rockin:
Can't wait to brew up some barley wine.
Recomendations are welcome
thanks, Pete

Nope, remember when we make our AG worts, all we are doing is making a thin extract. It's really just about freshness and recipe control. Check the recipe database for ideas. There's a lot of both AG and extract recipes there. You can also convert almost any AG recipe to extract using brewing SW or just ask one of us to do it.

Back