How to get into Scotch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Newbie Scotch drinker here. I know nothing about it other than the distillation process, etc. I have tried a few and am slightly beginning to gain an appreciation for it. However, I don't know what I like and what I don't.

For a pure beginner here, recommend a decent single malt that's not too harsh, of decent quality and reasonable price. By price, I would say no more than $30/bottle.

Also how should I drink, with water, ice? Again I know nothing. I have some brandy sniffers, wine glasses and Belgian beer flutes. Of those, what is preferred or do I need to go buy a nice Scotch glass? Thanks all.

Gregg

For anything, you pretty much just go to the store and buy whatever you haven't tried or what catches your eye in your price point. Lots of stores have a sample section too. So, take advantage of that when you can. and try it everyway until you find what you like. Neat, watered, iced, with soda, whatever.

I have tried just about every sctoch sample my stores carry and guess what I found out?

I hate Scotch.

I would suggest that you start out with some blended scotches and with a little ice and/or water. The ice and water will help detract away from some of the harshness of the alcohol and let you notice flavors you normally probably wouldn't have. Over time you may want to reduce the water or ice.

under $30 a bottle for single malt? not really much there

I think Johnny Walker Black is about $30. decent blend.

how you take it is up to you. i personally like neat with a splash of room temp bottled water. out of your glass selection, i'd use a snifter, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "belgian beer flute". that might work fine.

So maybe start blended. Makes sense. Someone have me a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold about 6 years ago. It was opened and tried back then and I hated it. Would it still be good having been opened?

What other blended scotch would be decent in the $30 range. Also how much water are we talking here. A few drops?

i've never had the gold. actually the only blends i've had are Black and Chivas Regal. Chivas is disgusting.

you could probably pick up a bottle of Glenlivet for under $30. Otherwise I'd recommend The Macallan if you don't like peat, Talisker or Laphroag if you do.

also, this guy is pretty interesting:
http://www.maltmaniacs.org/

I LOVE Macallan 12. Its about $45 a bottle...but its so, so, so good.

Three fingers of Macallan 12 over 2 ice cubes. Heaven. Add a good cigar....oh man.

Welcome to Scotch! I think I can be of assistance. As a brief introduction, there are basically 4 regions of scotch, highland, lowland, islay, and Campbletown. Each has their own general characteristics: ie: highland tend to be more peaty than lowland, islay will frequently have a seaweed/seasalt character to them. Campbletown is the smallest production area. The highland scotches tend to be more available than many of the other areas. Most scotches should have their region identified on the lable. If you're interested the internet provides a wealth of information on these regions.

A great introductory single malt, in my opinion, is Auchentoshan. Their basic single malt 750 is usally around the $25 mark, though I've seen it as low as $19. It's a lowland scotch. For highland, the basic 750 single malt glenlivet or glenfiddich can typically be procured in the $25 range as well. I see you are in Denver, me too. Davidson's, Argonaut, and Tipseys should all offer a strong selection of single malt scotches in the below $40 range.

Personally, I'd stay away from the blended scotches if what you're wanting to do is begin your single malt appreciation and education. Blended scotch has an entirely different character than single malt, and frequently blended scotch costs as much if not more that many single malts. Not that there's anything wrong with blended, some of them are just delicious, but I just caution to keep your goal of what you're trying to do in mind.

For service, you can choose to take your scotch a couple of ways. Neat means no ice and generally no water, though note "cask strength" scotch should always be served with some water. There is no specific glass for scotch, but a standard tumbler (if serving on ice) or a snifter (neat) are my suggestions. For water about 1/2 tsp to 2 oz of scotch is about right, though make sure the water is of good quality free of chlorine or anything that could inhibit the scotch. The theory is the water (in small quantities) opens up the scotch and allows for better presentation of the aromatics.

My personal preference is neat, no water, but experiment and find out what you like.

Also how should I drink, with water, ice? Again I know nothing. I have some brandy sniffers, wine glasses and Belgian beer flutes. Of those, what is preferred or do I need to go buy a nice Scotch glass? Thanks all.

One at a time:

1) Do not ice or dilute (unless drinking a cask strength). Neat is the way to appreciate a good scotch. Anything that requires ice to be able to tolerate is not worth ole Randar's time or the calories. Tasting it neat will allow you to actually taste and smell the full character of the whiskey. Icing it just hides aspects of the whiskey that are otherwise lacking.

2) Snifter is the best of the bunch you list. I picked up a set of dedicated scotch glasses but I am dumb like that. (quick tips: http://www.cocktailtimes.com/dictionary/scotch.tasting.shtml)

Do you like Scotch or are you just trying to see if you do? Do you like Earthy, peat, smoke type of flavors and aromas? If not, it might not be worth it to even bother trying.

Skip the Cutty Sark, Dewars, etc. If you are going to try blends, go with the Chivas or Johnny Walker. Personally, when I was getting into it I would try a few single malts from the various regions and narrow in on what you like. I personally hate the Lowland and am ambivalent towards many of the of the Highland scotches. Islay, Speyside, and whiskeys from Skye and Okney islands are where it is at for me.

If you want to try some nice "reasonable" bottles of single malt, Bowmore 12 used to be on sale for around 30-35 bucks and that is about the best value bottle around if you can get it at that price. If you are comparing to full price ($45 near me), I prefer Macallan 12. Bruichladdich is also one of my favorite and has a 12 yr in the same range. I love the Bruichladdich 15, just an amazing mouthfeel and vanilla notes that just coat your tongue.

Other favorites of mine that I usually try to snag at the Heathrow Duty Free on my 2x yearly trips: Highland Park, Talisker, & Lagavulin. Laphroaig is not for the faint of heart, so you may wish to "get around" before getting into that one.

You may also be able to find liquor stores in your area doing Scotch tastings. Ask around and get a designated driver! :D

I forgot to mention that Bull and Bush frequently has scotch tastings there and another GREAT place in Denver to explore without committing to the purchase of a whole bottle is Pint's Pub. It has the largest selection of single malt scotch outside of scotland, with per glass (about 4 oz) prices ranging from around $4 - several hundred dollars. Pints is located by the art museum. They offer a "tour of scotland" with a smaller pour of scotch from each region for around $20 and the majority of the bartenders are very knowledgable about the different kinds of scotch.

I'd say I'm a Scotch beginner as well but I've found I really like 12 year Glenfidich. When it comes to Bourbon, Woodford Reserve beats everything I've tried hands down.

One at a time:

1) Do not ice or dilute (unless drinking a cask strength). Neat is the way to appreciate a good scotch. Anything that requires ice to be able to tolerate is not worth ole Randar's time or the calories. Tasting it neat will allow you to actually taste and smell the full character of the whiskey. Icing it just hides aspects of the whiskey that are otherwise lacking.

I think this is just being an EAC. Most people that are new to liquor in general that isn't in a cocktail will have trouble just sipping on something straight. Diluting a little will make it more palatable for them. Most people you could give them a great and a terrible scotch and they wouldn't be able to tell much a difference just because of the alochol. Dilute and or chill it some and more people are able to enjoy just sipping on it and then start to notice more individual flavors. This goes for all spirts.

Start out with a six pack of beer. Then its a bit more tolerable.

Sorry to not add anything productive. I have tried for years to develope a taste for scotch. I just cannot adjust to it.

You might try finding a bar that stocks a good selection and has bartender(s) knowledgable about what's available, and getting on friendly terms with them. Even if you are paying more on a per-shot basis you're still saving money if the goal is to get a broader understanding of what's out there.

Start looking into bourbon. $30 is just a bad price point for Scotch in my opinion. If you are willing to spend look into Scotch. Otherwise, some really good bourbons can be had for a much lower price.

I just started to experiment with scotch. I really dig the very peaty stuff. Although one of my favorite ways to have scotch, which will surely make any scotch snob cringe, is 2 parts scotch, 2 parts freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, 1 part simple syrup. Shaken and served over ice.

I just started to experiment with scotch. I really dig the very peaty stuff. Although one of my favorite ways to have scotch, which will surely make any scotch snob cringe, is 2 parts scotch, 2 parts freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, 1 part simple syrup. Shaken and served over ice.

I believe that's called a Choking Scotsman.

A great introductory single malt, in my opinion, is Auchentoshan. Their basic single malt 750 is usally around the $25 mark, though I've seen it as low as $19. It's a lowland scotch.
Buy this Scotch^^. It is the least expensive one that won't leave you with a bad taste for Scotch.
As for others I adore Oban, Balvenie Doublewood and Laphroaig.

One at a time:

I feel the need to insert "in my opinion" anywhere in the above statement. The addition of a very small amount of clean, chemical free water allows the scotch to open up and decreases the alcohol bite without detracting from the actual flavor of the scotch. "In my opinion", if you were going to coach a guy on how to learn the appreciation of scotch, you would suggest adding water so he is not turned off by the bite.
Scotch isn't for everyone, fortunately, as none of my friends ever want to share my bottle...

Quote "scotch scotch scotch, scotch in my belly!" Ron Burgundy

Do go out and buy Michael Jacksons book on whisky and Jim Murray's whisky bible. http://www.whiskybible.com/
those two books will save you much disappointment and may unearth a gem or two you would not have purchased.

anyone who tells you how to enjoy your own scotch is a duschebag... figure out how you like it and don't apologize. (that said, i will see if you put ice or water in it before i haul out the really rare stuff)

Tamdu is really decent and usually under $20 now that they shut it down and are liquidating the inventory.
Chivas is over priced but many ppl like it, but not for me.

Dewars is a really good low cost drink when all your "special" bottles have taken an a$$whoopin. Johny black is good and available everywhere. Green is even better, Gold is unique and interesting but i would pick many other bottles over it in its price range (try it at a bar or resturaunt) and Blue is expensive

5 scotch's worth my money:
Ardbeg followed by any of the other islay smoke bombs
Balvenie anything: if you can still find any leftover 10 YO, buy it all. I used to get it under $35 but it was under priced. better than the 15yo which is an OUTSTANDING scotch. the 12 is a sherry casked whisky. nearly identical to Macallan 12 (sets the standard for a reason), but in my opinion more complex and fruity.
Suntory Yamazaki, while not technically scotch, is really special and holds a special place in my collection.

The single best scotch i have ever purchased has been Talisker Distillers edition 2005 soooooooooooo mmmm nummy.

Try an example from each of the main scotch regions - in most cases, scotches from a common region have similar flavour profiles. You'll have a hard time finding anything decent for $30, though there are a few bargains out there.

The Islay whisky's are the manliest - lots of smoke, peat and iodine. They'll put hair on your chest, but a newbie may think they've accidentially been poured a glass of diesel. My favourite from this category (actually, my all-time favourite scotch) is Talisker Distillers Edition, but the regular Talisker is pretty good, too. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is also excellent, and the relatively new Ardbeg distillery produces some very tasty products.

The Speyside whisky's are the least manly IMO. Something like aberlour 10yo is easily approachable, and has little to no peat or smoke. It's fruity, caramelly, and toffee-like. The aberlour abunadh is more expensive, but it's a fantastic whisky.

Lowlands whisky is likewise fairly restrained and approachable. I don't care for them.

Highlands whisky is good stuff, generally a bit more peaty (but not usually smoky). I like the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but there's a lot to choose from, and this region shows the most diversity.

Also - try a bottle of amrut. It's not technically scotch (it's made in India) - but it's fantastic, and not too expensive. I'd rate it right up there with the classic Scotch scotches (even above some of them, too).

Hmmm Scotch.

One of my favorite is Isle of Jura Superstition.

isle-of-jura-superstition.jpg

Buy this Scotch^^. It is the least expensive one that won't leave you with a bad taste for Scotch.
As for others I adore Oban, Balvenie Doublewood and Laphroaig.

I feel the need to insert "in my opinion" anywhere in the above statement. The addition of a very small amount of clean, chemical free water allows the scotch to open up and decreases the alcohol bite without detracting from the actual flavor of the scotch. "In my opinion", if you were going to coach a guy on how to learn the appreciation of scotch, you would suggest adding water so he is not turned off by the bite.
Scotch isn't for everyone, fortunately, as none of my friends ever want to share my bottle...

I'll echo these recommendations. This is what I was taught in Scotland as well; they always have a pitcher of clean, fresh water when serving scotch, and the drinker will add as much as needed. They told us to add enough water to eliminate the burn, and it seems to work well for me. I also watched the "locals" in a couple pubs, and they seemed to do the same.

I'm personally a fan of the Bavenie DoubleWood, Oban, and pretty much anything from Highland Park. I also like the Talisker, but it's a much different beast, as mentioned before.

Oh, no you don't get off that easy. You've got to figure it out for yourself. It's like an initiation ritual.

hehe, exactly!

I'm an experienced alcohol consumer with lots of experience with excessive alcohol consumption...

And your point? That gives you an excuse to be arrogant and condescending?

Saying something like that is like telling someone that wants to get into good beer to go drink iipas and RIS's. If they don't like them then though **** and they shouldn't drink any beer.

hehe, exactly!

And your point? That gives you an excuse to be arrogant and condescending?

Saying something like that is like telling someone that wants to get into good beer to go drink iipas and RIS's. If they don't like them then though **** and they shouldn't drink any beer.

... Excessive Alchohol Consumption ... . He was taking a stab. Not close, but I like his creativity.

Sorry, not familiar with this acronym and figured you weren't talking about an Exact Audio Copy... what is EAC?

This gave me a good laugh. Plenty of EAC's around here, you'll fit in just fine!

I'm not a scotch drinker but I have a confession: Back when I was like 17 my buddies and I got a hold of a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 year and we drank it mixed with coca cola. Yeah, I still feel bad about that one... :(

I'm not a scotch drinker but I have a confession: Back when I was like 17 my buddies and I got a hold of a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 year and we drank it mixed with coca cola. Yeah, I still feel bad about that one... :(

It was only Chivas, no harm done.

Taste it neat first to guage what you like or don't like about the particular brand. Forget all that water and ice bullcrap.

if you were tasting a dog turd, would you start off by tasting a dog turd with sugar to see if you would like the dog turd neat? Eat the dog turd first, then add sugar to taste. If it's a really good dog turd, you won't need the sugar.

PS, When you find out what an EAC is, don't take it personally, it's just an inside joke. ;)

Taste it neat first to guage what you like or don't like about the particular brand. Forget all that water and ice bullcrap.

Disagree completely. The problem is that the alcohol burn can overpower and prevent the consumer from tasting what is actually going on. The dilution with water eliminates this variable from the equation.

As a scot by birth and owner of around 6-10 single malts/blends at any one time (money got a bit short this year so I'm down to 4) I would suggest you start with a decent blend like J & B or if you can get it McIvor isn't so bad. If you want to get into single malt I'd suggest Glenlivet 12 or the glenmorangie 10. Stay away from glenfiddichs younger years (8-12) but their 15 and 21 are good.

Other favorites of mine that I usually try to snag at the Heathrow Duty Free on my 2x yearly trips: Highland Park, Talisker, & Lagavulin. Laphroaig is not for the faint of heart, so you may wish to "get around" before getting into that one.
You mentioned my top 3 right there:
Highland Park, Lagavulin, Laphroaig. I like it neat unless cask strength.

Someone mentioned Bowmore 12 earlier and for an inexpensive intro to single-malt scotch I think it's a great choice. Very smooth.

TBH I just don't 'get' Macallan. I have a regular 12 and a fine oak 17 and it just seems to have way too much alcohol 'bite'; then I'll have a Highland Park 15 or 18 and comparitively it's super smooth.

I love a snort just before a really nice dinner, like at a nice steakhouse. But that one snort is gonna cost you at least $12 on up to however much you wanna spend. It's also good when you want a drink but not all the volume/carbonation of beer.

One at a time:

2) Snifter is the best of the bunch you list. I picked up a set of dedicated scotch glasses but I am dumb like that. (quick tips: http://www.cocktailtimes.com/dictionary/scotch.tasting.shtml)

Do you like Scotch or are you just trying to see if you do? Do you like Earthy, peat, smoke type of flavors and aromas? If not, it might not be worth it to even bother trying.

Skip the Cutty Sark, Dewars, etc. If you are going to try blends, go with the Chivas or Johnny Walker. Personally, when I was getting into it I would try a few single malts from the various regions and narrow in on what you like. I personally hate the Lowland and am ambivalent towards many of the of the Highland scotches. Islay, Speyside, and whiskeys from Skye and Okney islands are where it is at for me.

If you want to try some nice "reasonable" bottles of single malt, Bowmore 12 used to be on sale for around 30-35 bucks and that is about the best value bottle around if you can get it at that price. If you are comparing to full price ($45 near me), I prefer Macallan 12. Bruichladdich is also one of my favorite and has a 12 yr in the same range. I love the Bruichladdich 15, just an amazing mouthfeel and vanilla notes that just coat your tongue.

You may also be able to find liquor stores in your area doing Scotch tastings. Ask around and get a designated driver! :D

I love the Laphroaig 10yo. The Ardbeg is nice too. Been meaning to try their Supernova. I want to try the Compass Box Peat Monster and the Bruichladdich Octomore. I prefer very peaty single malts, neat but with a few drops of water sometimes.

I haven't read all the replies so apologies if any of this is a duplicate. These are all my opinions along with information I have learned from professional tasters and distillers at the various tastings I've attended. I hope this isn't tl;dr but I'm pretty passionate about whisky ;)

Newbie Scotch drinker here. I know nothing about it other than the distillation process, etc. I have tried a few and am slightly beginning to gain an appreciation for it. However, I don't know what I like and what I don't.
Good on ya for getting started. Scotch tasting (and whisky/whiskey in general) is a wonderful path to do down. There are so many flavors it always blows my mind.

For a pure beginner here, recommend a decent single malt that's not too harsh, of decent quality and reasonable price. By price, I would say no more than $30/bottle.
I don't know the price, but look into The Macallan 12. It's a very nice single malt that's easy drinking. Caol Ila is also lovely. Something with a little more oompf would be a Talisker or Laphroaig, but they're also a bit more pricey.

Another thing to mention is that a bottle of whisky will last you quite a while and does not spoil even after opening. So take that into account when budgeting.

There is no rule. I would recommend always starting neat and going from there. A smallish brandy snifter is nice, or rocks glasses work.

Nose the whisky but don't swirl it - that just releases alcohol aromas that assault your nose. Keep your nose in the glass and breathe in the aroma. You'll get past the initial alcohol hit and start to smell the whisky itself.

Take a sip and let it hang out in your mouth for a while. The Laphroaig taster I met said one second for every year the whisky is old.

Swallow and enjoy the lingering aftertastes.

Re: ice and water. Water does not ruin, mask, hurt, offend, defile or anger your whisky. In fact water can reveal a lot of flavors that you don't get neat. When tasting at the distillery to blend barrels (yes, "single" malt is still blended from different barrels) the tasters cut the whisky with up to 50% water.

I will often add one ice cube to a glass and enjoy tasting how the whisky changes as it melts. Even just a few drops can make a big difference in some whiskys.

Here is a nice link with some more information. From that site:

Almost all whiskies benefit from the addition of water which, with most whiskies, 'opens up' the spirit by breaking down the ester chains and freeing the volatile aromatics.

Very occasionally, one encounters a whisky whose virtues are better displayed neat.

So taste first. Think about it. Make notes. Then add a few drops of water and taste again. It's all part of the fun. Don't let anyone tell you how you "should" enjoy your whisky. You drink it however you like it.

I've been hosting a yearly tasting at my house. It's a lot of fun and encourages everyone to try new things. Here was the selection at the '08 event:

whiskies.jpg

-Joe

Back