co2 temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have mine inside my frig, but that's just because, as yooper says, it's conveniently out of the way ( and i don't have to drill ANOTHER hole in the frig... already 3 for the taps )

Sounds like they have you covered... I keep mine outside of my keezer, but that's only because I built a space for it that's hidden. If it weren't hidden I'd keep it inside.

If you do keep it in the cooler, put some duct tape over the high-pressure gauge on your regulator - So when the pressure in your CO2 tank drops to 400 PSI you don't get worried! :mug:

Pardon my ignorance, but are those smart ass replies? Am I missing something here? I know you where born with supreme kegging knowledge, but I wasn't so cut me some slack.

Pardon my ignorance, but are those smart ass replies? Am I missing something here? I know you where born with supreme kegging knowledge, but I wasn't so cut me some slack.

No, not being a smart ass - It's just a question we get a LOT here in the forums - So I added it to my signature.

The thing is, the high pressure gauge on a CO2 regulator is probably the most useless thing we all buy when we start kegging. CO2 is stored in the tank in a liquid state. At room temperature the pressure of the gaseous CO2 (Above the liquid, inside the tank) is around 600+ PSI. At 40 or so degrees, it can drop to around 400 - Which that high pressure gauge happily tells us - Causing great concern for those that aren't expecting it to happen!
What it doesn't tell us is that until the liquid CO2 is exhausted, the pressure will remain steady (At whatever pressure). Then, once all of the liquid CO2 has changed to gas and gone through our kegs, we are left with only gaseous CO2 in the tank. That gaseous CO2, at 400-600 PSI, will be gone in a matter of 5-10 pulls of the tap, and we're out of gas.
So basically, by the time the high pressure gauge says there's something wrong, you're already out of gas and it's too late.

This is why I think the high pressure gauge should come from the store with duct tape on it! Or removed.

No offense intended my friend - Just a heads up for anyone that, like all of us when we started, thinks their gas system is jacked :mug:

Back