Simcoe Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
So when I was doing an internet order I threw in 3 oz of Simcoe hop pellets because I never have used them. I've read a lot about a Simcoe/Amarillo blend, I enjoy Amarillo quite a bit so I could see that working nicely for me. Any thoughts/comments on Simcoe hops in an IPA? Or other ideas of their use?

Seriously? They are the backbone of a great IPA. Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Centennial all work great in an IPA. Montanaandy

Use it in Pliny the Elder! Also like it just as a dry hop to perk up a fading kegged brew.

I wouldn't say they are the backbone of any IPA, but they are a great hop for sure....to mee you get a flavor similar to if a grapefruit and a pineaple reproduced and the offspring ate a pine cone. Simcoe is a fantastic hop......great for aroma and flavoring additions.

You can pretty much use whatever hop you like in an IPA, it is the OG, FG, COLOR and IBU that make it an IPA. Hop varieties are what differentiate IPA and AIPA....then if you blend continental and american hops in a beer....it would be just crazy.

Is Simcoe too much for a PA? Trying to create a APA recipe and was thinking about using an oz of simcoe, half at 60, then the other half at 30. any thought?

"I wouldn't say they are the backbone of any IPA, but they are a great hop for sure..."

Well, it is for any IPA or IIPA that I am brewing. In looking through my brewing notes for the IPA's and IIPA's that I have brewed recently (Dogfish Head 60, & 90 Hopinator, Coloumbarillo, Pliney) they all called for Simcoe. Further, being the hop head that I am I jacked up the amount of Simcoe called for each time and found it only enhanced the beer. I could not imagine brewing a serious IPA without Simcoe. Montanaandy

I've heard many people say that Simcoe gives off a cat pee flavor and although my experience is limited with that hop, I did get that flavor once in a beer that was made with Simcoe.

I recently brewed an IPA with just Chinook and Simcoe and it's absolutely fantastic. It tastes like the juice of a grapefruit that grew on a pine tree. I'm sure it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I think it's phenomenal.

I love Simcoe and I really love the Simcoe/Amarillo combo BUT when I use just those two hops together, I feel that it can sometimes create an overwhelming fruity/citrusy blast...not that that is a bad thing if that's what your are looking for.

I just think that the Simcoe/Amarillo combo can use another pungent and/or more piney type of hop to balance the fruity blast. That said, I wouldn't hesitate using just Simcoe or just Amarillo or the combination of the two in any IPA.

Oh yeah, I also love the smooth bitterness I get from Simcoe.

"You're missing the point of an IPA if you don't use it in the finish or as a dry hop."

Agree completely.

Re: "I've heard many people say that Simcoe gives off a cat pee flavor" - I have heard some complain that Simcoe or any of the high alpha hops give off a cat pee smell. Since I have not consumed cat pee I will leave that one to those that have... :) Montanaandy

I love the Simcoe/Amarillo combo. I use it in my Double IPA, but I bitter it at 60 with Magnum then alternate a 1/2 oz of simcoe then a 1/2 oz of Amarillo every 5 mins for the last 25 mins of the mins of the boil. The I DH with with an oz each for 7 days. I'd highly recomend it.:mug:

Back