OxiClean & Cleaning Bottles/Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
Seems like I'm probably using too much OxiClean. I soaked some Sam Adams bottles in it that I drank last night to add to my bottle collection and they came out with a white film all over them. I wanted to get all the old beer smells, residue, and labels off easily (that worked very well).

Anyways, as far as small tubes are concerned (bottling wands, racking wands, clear hoses), they're really difficult to ensure cleanliness without being able to scrub the insides so I've been soaking them in OxiClean for a period of time and then rinsing and letting them air dry. What this is doing is leaving a white film all over the bottles and in some spots on the plastics.

What's the best way to do this? What do you use? Is the white film a concern for later batches?

use hot water. Soak in hot water + oxyclean. Rinse with hot water. Hot water dissolves the oxyclean much better. Make sure you rinse every thing very well. You don't want oxyclean in your beer. You can usually tell it's rinse properly when the slippery feeling goes away.

soak with oxyclean or its knock-offs and follow up with a mild acid rinse. I use vinegar. I've heard others use StarSan with good result.

I just soaked 6 cs of bottles in oxyclean to remove their labels. It left a white residue on all the bottles, but the residue was removed with a simple vinegar rinse.

I am very much a Noob and was having similar concerns. I blasted the insides with hot water out of my bottle washer before sanitizing, and then drank some water out of them. I didn't taste any chemical in the water, is that a good enough test, or should I be doing something else.

I am very much a Noob and was having similar concerns. I blasted the insides with hot water out of my bottle washer before sanitizing, and then drank some water out of them. I didn't taste any chemical in the water, is that a good enough test, or should I be doing something else.

That should do it. Maybe some of these other people are having problems with hard water leaving spots when it dries.

Thanks for the help! Definitely don't want Oxiclean in my beer :cross:! I'm just trying to keep everything clean for the next time I use it. I think I'll probably try the vinegar rinse, follow up with some hot water, and sanitize em when they're needed.

Thanks again!:D

Im using the oxyclean hot water soak to take off labels and such it works very well. I scrub them down with hot water then run them through my dishwasher, seems to work well.

It takes very little. I don't exactly measure (see dump from the jug) but I'd imagine 1/2 c in 4 gallon water

The film must come from using way too much OC, or from something in your water. I use a 1/4 scoop in a 5 gallon bucket and it never takes more than a quick hot water rinse.

It is calcium carbonate from your water, not Oxyclean. I am from Indy too...our water is so retardedly hard that it leaves chalk on everything.

I use about half a scoop in a full sink. Soak scrub and rinse twice with hot water, no problems.

I normally just guess how much to put in and normally have to rinse two or three times to get rid of all the oxi clean film that has been mentioned as slippery. I believe this means we are using too much. Also don't leave plastic soaking too long or it will discolor the plastic.

AdamHasser said:
How much Oxi Clean should I use for doing a whole bath tub full of bottles?

I use 4 scoops and rinse well. Haven't had any problems yet. Labels float within a couple of hours and any gunk in the bottle is gone.

I use 1.5oz of PBW per gallon of water. I soak the labels/gunk off over night.
No film at all. I use a bottle brush & Dobie brand scrubber to clean them before a good rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry. I store'em in craft beer 12 pack boxes.

Back