• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1 BBL (32 gallon) tippy dump mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I started building this thing thinking I'd use it for some club projects or group brews with a couple other brewers but it's just sitting here taking up space.

Details:
1.5mm (16gauge) stainless, heavy duty
20" diameter, 24" tall
Welded handles
Tippy dump pivot bosses and tip-locks (with bolts).
16 gauge, full diameter false bottom with silicone edge gasket. Sits on a separate 2" grid stand.
Lid (kinda beat up but functional)
1" NPT silver soldered bottom drain near front edge.
1/2" NPT silver soldered thermometer port 10" up from the bottom on the front side.
3" dial thermometer.

The total volume is 32.5 gallons.
Practical grain bill limit is 75 pounds which would yield 25 finished gallons of 1.082 or 20 gallons of 1.102.

Shipping is going to be expensive due to the size and weight. I just quoted shipping to Chicago at $80 via UPS ground.

Pictures:

32tuntippy.JPG

32tunFBstand.JPG

32tunFB.JPG

What's this based off? It seems to be the ideal dimensions for me to get a bigger kettle so I can brew large batches and fill my 16gal fermentors. I don't however have the need for a 75 lb capacity tun.

Where did you source that edge gasket for the false bottom? I've been looking for something similar. Good luck with the sale.

I've got the fancy Mcmaster edge seal on the false bottom, the 1" bottom drain, and a 1/2" thermometer port with a 3" dial thermometer all installed. It's ready to mash in. Buy it. Make an offer!

Bobby_M said:
Shipping is looking really prohibitive. The box would be about 24 x 24 x 30 and I think the total weight would be 60lbs. Chicago, via UPS ground is around $80.

Ok- thanks. If you can't get rid of it let me know. Maybe we could work something out.

Bobby_M said:
I started building this thing thinking I'd use it for some club projects or group brews with a couple other brewers but it's just sitting here taking up space.

Details:
1.5mm (16gauge) stainless, heavy duty
20" diameter, 24" tall
Welded handles
Tippy dump pivot bosses and tip-locks (with bolts).
16 gauge, full diameter false bottom with silicone edge gasket. Sits on a separate 2" grid stand.
Lid (kinda beat up but functional)
1" NPT silver soldered bottom drain near front edge.
1/2" NPT silver soldered thermometer port 10" up from the bottom on the front side.
3" dial thermometer.

The total volume is 32.5 gallons.
Practical grain bill limit is 75 pounds which would yield 25 finished gallons of 1.082 or 20 gallons of 1.102.

Shipping is going to be expensive due to the size and weight. I just quoted shipping to Chicago at $80 via UPS ground.

Pictures:

Unrelated to the sale of this. Do you think it would be possible to design a false bottom like that for a cooler mash tun? I'm on my phone and couldn't link to DM you from the post.

Unrelated to the sale of this. Do you think it would be possible to design a false bottom like that for a cooler mash tun? I'm on my phone and couldn't link to DM you from the post.

Probably, but I don't have a one-off-cut kind of relationship with the shop that waterjets my false bottoms. I have 4 or 5 full sheets cut in a run. I've been working on a standard one for a 10 gallon round, but the grid stand and wiper gasket really adds a lot of cost. I don't know if the market will support the price because of the cheap domed units available.

Bobby_M said:
Probably, but I don't have a one-off-cut kind of relationship with the shop that waterjets my false bottoms. I have 4 or 5 full sheets cut in a run. I've been working on a standard one for a 10 gallon round, but the grid stand and wiper gasket really adds a lot of cost. I don't know if the market will support the price because of the cheap domed units available.

Maybe not however personally I'm almost always willing to spend the money for great quality. The wiper blade cost certainly isn't super cheap however it appears it would give an excellent seal.

That's a good point. I suppose it doesn't hurt to run a full sheet and see what happens. The thing I'm most frustrated with is having to support the FB above the bulkhead. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to orient it slightly off the bottom and have a diptube drop down through it, but it's not something that can be easily removed.

Bobby_M said:
That's a good point. I suppose it doesn't hurt to run a full sheet and see what happens. The thing I'm most frustrated with is having to support the FB above the bulkhead. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to orient it slightly off the bottom and have a diptube drop down through it, but it's not something that can be easily removed.

I agree. However for fly spargers in the cooler isnt an even flow the most important to achieve a high efficiency? i would rather have a higher deadspace and get a higher efficiency than have it below the bulkhead. that being said if thay is a desire maybe follow the blichmann example with the diptube? They have a oval shaped opening that the diptube gets placed into with a washer on the dip tube then you slide the diptube and false bottom into place at the straight down orientation. The washer covers the additional oval space.

More pics in its current state:

Here's a basic shot of the whole pot:
32tippyfront.jpg

Hard to see, but here's the 1" NPT spud silver soldered into the front bottom edge:
32tippybottomdrain.jpg

This inside shot shows what the 1/2" spud with thermometer looks like, as well as the bottom drain and 2" tall grid stand for the false bottom:
32tippyinsideports.jpg

This is a shot of the false bottom with the new silicone wiper gasket attached and also the pull ring:
32tippyfb.jpg

This is a shot of the FB installed, but it's an older shot prior to changing to the better gasket variety:
32tunFB.JPG

Back