You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several ingredients cannot be used, for instance certain flavorings and finings are not considered kosher. So those and any equipment that has come in contact with them cannot be used in the making of a kosher wine/beer.

meat and dairy must be kept separate also, so no Bratwurst Milk Stout:D

You know you're a homebrewer when you hear/read "EKG" and you don't think electrocardiograph. You think East Kent Goldings.

luke_d said:
You know you're a homebrewer when you hear/read "EKG" and you don't think electrocardiograph. You think East Kent Goldings.

You know you've spent too much time working in a hospital when you know they mean hops and still think electro cardio gram

When you buy a mill, 50# sacks of two row, and start thinking about roasting your own special malts... And check this forum several times a day even before joining...

And you get sad without a fermenter with an airlock or blowoff tube bubbling for more than 2 days haha, you know it's Time to brew again at this phase

Yeah and when you house hits 60 degrees and you kindly ask living mates to please not touch the heat dial...

Or when you know your girlfriend hates beer but new batch you try you say to her, "oh my god baby you gotta try this batch I think you would love it!"
And she says, "I Donno... Smells like beer.."
Oh yeah... More fore me

You own a generator for an emergency power supply, yet the only thing that qualifies use for an emergency power supply is your fermentation chamber and kegerator.

When you go to the LHBS simply to get an airlock, but come home with all the ingredients you need for an IPA.

When you go to the LHBS simply to get an airlock, but come home with all the ingredients you need for an IPA.

Forgot my brew recipe book at the LHBS last week. She called to tell me, so I went back to pick it up and spent another $100.....almost forgot the book again too:drunk:

You use a wort chiller to explain the science behind a tankless hot water heater to the wife while at Lowes.

You wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and at the same time you check on your currently fermenting batch (coming along nicely by the way) then make this post on HBT

*happening now* as you're starting up a brewday, your 3 yr old niece asks if she can come out and make beer with you.

She also tells her pre-school teacher that her uncle car car loves beer and makes it all the time, uncle of the year!

bwirthlin said:
You wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and at the same time you check on your currently fermenting batch (coming along nicely by the way) then make this post on HBT

Yep, I've done that.

You here a "bump" in the night and immediately check the spare room where your fermentor is just incase, then check the rest of the house.

You are constantly playing the 'thermostat game' with the wife to keep your hard cider in the upper 60's, rather than the low 70's.

Your perfect New Years Day is
-cleaning out a corny and immediately refilling it with cherry bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, and then
-building a DIY hood to install over the electric boil kettle to avoid another garage sauna, and then
-cleaning and prepping to brew this Saturday.

... And hopefully opening a gift certificate from the wife that will cover that grain mill I have been eyeballing... *fingers crossed*

You are constantly playing the 'thermostat game' with the wife to keep your hard cider in the upper 60's, rather than the low 70's.

or you move the paper inside the knob to protect the precious...

when you computer craps out and all you can think is oh no i dont have beer smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When your son taking high school biology is studying yeast respiration tells them that co2 and alcohol are yeast farts and yeast piss. He also was able to answer all the teachers questions about how they turn sugar into all those farts and piss. He also explains that he learned all that watching his dad brew beer. He was the hit of the class.

I loved geeking out talking yeast respiration at the dinner table with my son, my wife just rolled her eyes. :D

When your large fan is turned into a carboy dryer, your small fan is turned into a stir plate, your bath tub is really a swamp cooler, and your fridge is for cold crashing carboys and beer only.

When you horde beer bottles because, "..I'm going to use them for my next batch." And justify buying more craft brew to increase said collection of bottles.

Then you start kegging and retain said horde of bottles to "...hand out to friends" and "save some to see how it tastes down the road".

GioGomez2010 said:
When you horde beer bottles because, "..I'm going to use them for my next batch." And justify buying more craft brew to increase said collection of bottles.

Then you start kegging and retain said horde of bottles to "...hand out to friends" and "save some to see how it tastes down the road".

Yup, just said to my wife last night I need to stop collecting bottles now its considered hording (300 bottles or so). Frankly I just dont like taking off labels.

Yup, just said to my wife last night I need to stop collecting bottles now its considered hording (300 bottles or so). Frankly I just dont like taking off labels.

I'm not a horder yet, but getting there. For the labels, I just filled a rubbermaid tub, like what you would ice an keg in, half full of oxyclean water and just drop bottles in it. It just stays in garage now and gets dumped and refilled when the water gets nasty. Then on bottle day just run the delabled bottles through the dishwasher to sanitize and remove the label residue.

Back