Storing 55 lbs of grain in this ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
I happened to fiind these buckets with "AIR TIGHT" lids.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24116&catid=626

Life Latch® New Generation Tamper Evident Shipping Container
The Life Latch® New Generation line offers a user friendly packaging/storage system that is child-resistant and senior-friendly. The pails are U.N. Certified for hazardous solids groups II & III. The screw top lid offers an air-tight seal for moisture-resistant storage of food products. Tamper evident ready. A vented lid for chemicals that need to breathe is also available, contact us for a quote. Meets FDA standards. Lids sold separately

6.5 Gallon Tamper Evident New Generation Container
Qty 15: 5% off; Qty 30: 10% off; Qty 90: 15% off; Each Yes $7.46
5. 0 Gal $6.02 and 3.5 gal $5.40.....All the lids are $3.00 bucks

So for $10.47 you'll have a very sturdy "Air Tight' container that you cau use to ship with.

The product sounds great too even the Pricing is good!

Does anyone know if the homer buckets has "AIR TIGHT" lids?

How much grain will a 6.5 gal bucket hold 55 lbs?

How much grain will a 5 gal bucket hold 55 lbs?

Glad you found a nice container for storing grain! Not really sure if homer buckets are air tight, but would guess they seal well "enough" as lots of folks seem content using them. I believe 2 Homers will fit 55 lbs of grain.

I can fit a 55 lb bag in a 5gal and a 6gal bucket.

I have some grain leftover if I try to use 2 5gal buckets. If I had to guess 5gal bucket will fit 25 lbs of grain.

Zip Lock also makes some pretty heavy duty large bags that will work as well...12, 2 gallon bags for 5 bucks...240 lbs of grain storage /package of 12 bags...

You don't need an air-tight container.....the bags that the grain come in sure aren't air tight. As long as your grain stays dry, clean, and bug free you'll be fine. I always used big Rubbermaid tubs.

Ok, rant over. The container you linked looks cool and it's pretty darn cheap. Nice find.

You don't need an air-tight container.....the bags that the grain come in sure aren't air tight. As long as your grain stays dry, clean, and bug free you'll be fine. I always used big Rubbermaid tubs.

Ok, rant over. The container you linked looks cool and it's pretty darn cheap. Nice find.

I do the same. I store grain for over a year in rubbermaid tubs and never have any go bad on me. So rest assured that whatever you choose to store in should work just fine.

• Don't need to be airtight, although this will keep weevils out; however, your grain already has weevil eggs, so they are trojans
  • 1# of barley is about 1 quart, so...
  • 50# of barley is about 12.5 gallons. MOL.
  • The bins on the bottom of the following pic are 66 quart. They easily hold a 55# bag of grain ( I get these bins from Target)

Grain_Closet.JPG

Those look like the same style buckets/lids the bromine tabs come in for my hot tub. I don't know about air tight (why did they put that in quotes, anyway?), but these buckets are stored in a high humidity environment and keep the contents bone dry for months.

Personally, I use free frosting buckets from the bakery and Gamma Seal lids. It works out to the same price and you get a true air-tight seal. If you can't get free food-grade buckets, though, this would be a great deal.

I don't think those would hold an entire 50lb sack of grain. I just purchased two of these for my base grains (2-Row and Maris Otter):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002H3S5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought the 60lb container and it works great. Enough room for a full sack, easy to get into, airtight, and with my Prime membership, I get free shipping. You can get them at pet stores, but Amazon (as usual) is cheaper than my local pet store.

I got the idea from a brewery video I saw on Youtube. Works great. I plan on buying the 30lb container to hold the various sacks of specialty grains I'm trying to keep on hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right about them not being large enough for a full bag but there is also this version which seems substantial.

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-MP-12-NAVY-Airtight-Container-Quarts/dp/B00186RTWW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337362406&sr=8-4

I have 2 of these containers. Bought them at tractor supply for $25 a piece. They work well and have no problem with a large bag of grain. The smaller versions are not as air tight as this larger one. They also sell these at pet stores, for literally double the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back