Good Sorachi Ace pairing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I was given 7 ozs of Sorachi Ace hop pellets. I've read some pretty mixed things about them. Getting ready to brew a pale ale. Anyone have any recommendations of other hops to pair with this that might take the edge off of the "lemon pledge" effect?? Hop schedule recommendations with this variety?? I've got some Cascades, Citra, and Willamette sitting around, as well as a couple ozs of a high alpha acid "experimental" hop that is quite good (kind of Centennial like).
Thanks.

I've mixed them with Cascades in a Belgian Pale Ale (WLP550). Worked pretty good, but I've no plans to make it again. Just looked at my notes, and it says to try it with a standard yeast next time.

It was only a 2 gallon batch, getting the bittering all from late hop additions. The hop additions for 2 gallons were:

0.5 ozs Sorachi @ 20
0.25 ozs (Sorachi/Cascade mix) @ 15
0.25 ozs (Sorachi/Cascade mix) @ 10
0.25 ozs (Sorachi/Cascade mix) @ 5
0.25 ozs (Sorachi/Cascade mix) @ 0
0.4 ozs (Sorachi/Cascade mix) dry

OG: 1.057, FG: 1.007, IBUS: 30

I'll be using some cultured 1056 from the local brewery BTW. Probably based on a grain of primarily American 2-row. Don't know about the Willamettes, but I'm thinking that the "experirmentals" and Cascades might pair nicely. I just don't want to end up with something that tastes like Satan's A-hole.

I make a std. lager that uses S. A and Kent Goldings. It has gone to Nationals twice now. The lemon is very subtle and easily overlooked.

Latest posts

Back