Thin Flander's Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Flanders Red that I made with plenty of specialty malts, mashed at 154F. I just took my first sample, after about 4 months, and it is very thin almost watery, but with sour notes and some brett character.

Obviously it's not carbonated, and it's also not finished. But it will only get more thin as time goes on, so I'm a little concerned.

Has anyone else has this? Normal? My hope is that the complexity that will develop over the next few months will add some character.

Mine was a bit drier than I hoped too but I liked it anyway. You can always blend it with a second batch that is mashed warmer. Once you blend it, you can keg the blend and chill it down so the bugs don't dry out the new beer.

What blend of bugs did you use and how long did you leave? I'm using Jamil's method, sort of, and thinking about a year.

I'm thinking it's as dry as I want, but not really as complex as I want.

I might brew a batch with a similar malt bill using just 1056 and blend that in, then leave it another month or two before packaging.

Ours was done with the Wyeast lambic blend and sat in a Cabernet barrel for one year. Complex? Hell yes. We also used Jamil's preferment method. The FG after a year was 1.000.

Cool. I'm sure mine will get more complex. I used Oak cubes, which actually have done a good job so far, but the bugs seem a little one dimensional thus far.

I'm excited though, don't get me wrong!

Back