Critique my first recipe-American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
It's pretty simple but it's the first one I've made off the top of my head based on past experiences. Looking for about 7% alcohol and 70IBUs with plenty of hop aroma. The 2 oz of cascades for dry hopping will be 1 oz in each keg.

Recipe: The 7 IPA
Brewer: Michael Strady
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
23.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.68 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
4.00 oz Magnum [10.40 %] (60 min) Hops 68.3 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-StHops -
1 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 26.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 33.13 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Mike

Either cut back the crystal or lower your mash temp. If you mash that high (158F) you will not need any C-Pils as it will be sweet enough and have plenty of mouth feel. IPA's should be on the dry side IMO anyway!

I'd lower the mash temp also, personally i'd knock it down to 154 or maybe a little lower. otherwise looks yummy

I didn't even notice that I had 158F in there. I mash all my recipes between 148-154. I'll do this one around 152 so if it loses a degree in 60 mins, it's still above 150. It's usually not a problem, especially in August.

I typically only add that section so it doesn't say that my mash steps are missing. I double batch sparge everything.

Mike

I have to say, I tried to do an IPA this way with a bitter and a late addition and then some dry hop and it was good. One dimensional but good. I found that by doing a bitter addition, then one about 20min and then one at 5min gave me the best balance. Then I also used a couple of hops for the 20, 5 and DH. That way you get the multiple levels of flavor. Good Luck though?

Looks tasty, I would be using more than 1 pack of yeast or making a starter with that much beer to ferment. 2 packs rehydrated should do it.

I'll be using 2 packs of 05, I just didn't enter it that way. It's just there to show what kind of yeast I'm using.

On the hop schedule, would 1 oz at 20 minutes and 1 oz at 5 be better? It might raise the IBUs a touch but that's not a problem.

Mike

Is there a way that you could maybe do a .5oz of Cascade and Centennial at 20 and .5oz of Cascade and 1.5oz of Centennial at 5. Then you would get a little bit of a difference and still keep your hopping schedule and IBU's mostly the same. Then you are also using the same flavors throughout the beer. It will be tasty with or without the change, you might just find that you like it better one way or the other.

Back