inspired by Saison Dupont: brewing ale with wine yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBlagojevich

Reaction score
I was reading in Phil Markowski's "Farmhouse Ales" about the strain of yeast found in Saison Dupont. This yeast is highly unusual among ale yeasts: extra-attenuative, but prone to "giving up" especially at the temperatures around or below 70* (the ideal temperature for most ales). Instead, it thrives best between 85* and 90*F, like many red wine yeasts.

For these reasons, some people apparently believe that the Dupont strain is actually a wine yeast that has adapted to brewhouse circumstances.

I'm curious whether anyone here has experimented with using wine yeast strains for brewing ales. What were your results? I am considering some experimental batches, maybe trying other red wine strains (bordeux, for instance) at high temperatures to make saison.

In fact it has too much good info. I've listened to it three times, and I still need to go back to it again.

Does anyone know where to get the enzyme that Shea Comfort talks about in that podcast? he refers to it as "convertase" but I don't see that in any catalogs...

I'll have to listen to the podcast again to catch what he said.....I've not heard it since it was first cast.

Back