Can i just use 2 starters for a high gravity beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edin88

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't want to make a big starter with the step process so can i just use 2 starters? I'm making a 5.5 gallon founders breakfast stout clone(ish) at about 1.086 OG (targeted) and I was just gonna do one 1 liter starter and one 2 liter started (both from the same washed 1056 strain i fermented an IPA with and bottled 2 weeks ago).

Sound good? Will they get the job done without doing anything i might not want/expect? Or will there be some sort of yeast-on-yeast violence cause they're from different hoods?

MrMalty says i need about 318 billion cells

Cool thanks. So unless someone jumps in screaming "no!" by noon tomorrow i'm gonna go ahead and just use 2 starters

NO NO No, you cant do that, think of the children
never mind, I was thinking of something else Sorry

Noooooo!!!

They're all going to laugh at you!

Should be fine, I'd say just make sure to give this yeast plenty of time to digest out any metabolism by-products since you're pitching int oa higher OG than is ideal. Especially if the IPA was on the high OG side, too.

You better set up a webcam on that carboy. It's going to be Jets/Sharks or Bloods/Crips up in that piece.

Back