Natural Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylpaul2000

Reaction score
So I made an American wheat last Sunday morning and accidentally forgot the yeast
(meaning I didn't have any on hand and my LHBS was closed). I wasn't able to get to the store since and tonight when I checked the wort in the carboy it had erupted an was going to town! It look clean so far but smells really sulfuric, should I dump it or wait to see what happens? Any advice would be great.

Wait and see. People made beer long before they discovered that yeast was a necessary ingredient.

ylpaul2000 said:
So I made an American wheat last Sunday morning and accidentally forgot the yeast
(meaning I didn't have any on hand and my LHBS was closed). I wasn't able to get to the store since and tonight when I checked the wort in the carboy it had erupted an was going to town! It look clean so far but smells really sulfuric, should I dump it or wait to see what happens? Any advice would be great.

Wait it out! See what nature brews!

It's beyond the commercial sulfur smell. It smells like someone lit a couple of matches inside the carboy!

It may turn out great, or it may be awful. What's clear is that you need to sanitize your equipment better in the future.

kingwood-kid said:
It may turn out great, or it may be awful. What's clear is that you need to sanitize your equipment better in the future.

Well I'm I don't think that it has to do with poor sanitation. I would challenge any of you to leave wort at room temperature for a period of time and see what happens. Jamil Z. Did a podcast on this topic and he said he regularly tests the cleanliness of his system this way.

Lager yeast is very sulfuric, what did you brew last in that carboy?

You likely got some wild yeast and some bacteria.
Don't taste it until it runs its course, bacteria can be dangerous.
Once the yeast take over, drop the PH, and raise the alcohol level the bacteria will settle down or die out.
Be prepared to let this sit for several months, wild yeast does not attenuate very well.
BYO and Brewers TV have done some interesting specials on spontaneous fermentation that you may want to take a look at.
It will turn out very different than what is intended but I would stick with it... for science!
If it turns out well, save a sample of the yeast for future use.

Back