bottle capping threaded vs non threaded bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipilix

Reaction score
i have been saving all brands of bottles. so far i havent had an issue with the bottles that are not threaded for twist off. but the bottles that are threaded i cant seem to get a good seal. so my question is...am i not supposed to use the threaded bottles or would i be doing something wrong?

You are not to use threaded bottles,I'm surprised you haven't broke any of the bottle tops off yet on the threaded ones.

awesome thanks. im glad i havent bottled any of the beer yet..just been testing good old water for leaks and making sure i know how to cap. lol. thanks again :)

hwcopela said:
Only a bench capper can seal the threaded bottles.

This. You need a heavy duty (read: "expensive") capper to properly seal twist-offs.

Also, and this might just be a rumor so feel free to call me an idiot, but I have heard that the twist-off bottles, since they are being filled and sealed with already carbed beer in the factory, aren't as strong as the pop-tops and cannot always stand the pressures of bottle conditioning. At least, I've never seen a professional, bottle conditioned beer in a twist-off.

There are some twist off bottle conditioned beers. Some twist off Point pale ale that a buddy brought to a party claimed to be bottle conditioned (though it had a VERY small yeast cake at the bottom).

My bench capper won't seal most most twist offs (including that Point variety). It will seal stubborn crow tops though, Pilsner Urquell comes to mind.

I had a similar question - because I like to give some beer away, but then my good bottles would never make it back to me...

So I bought caps that were made for threaded bottles ( yes they make these ) and used a bench capper. Works like a charm, so now I dont feel bad giving away a few beers to buddies knowing i wont see my bottle again.

does anyone know if they make pop top vortex bottles? i like to be able to tornado my beer down my throat.

Back