Craft beer in a can??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I found this link in the news about Micro-Breweries using cans instead of bottles. http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20110130/D9L2QFUO0.html Correct me if I am wrong, but many of us decant the beer off of the yeast layer when pouring from a bottle. Bottling craft beer in cans, and dumping the cans in a cooler would mix the yeast back into suspension, and also give the beer an aluminum flavor. I guess I would have to give one a try, but it sounds like someone just wants to market more beer at average quality, instead of less beer at higher quality.

No aluminum flavor is going on in these beers. Beer in cans are great and they have no yeast sediment because they are not conditioned in the can. Try Dale's Pale sometime. Also 21st Amendment. Tasty crack cans...

Package conditioning takes very few yeast. Yeast health is more important the the number of them. Pros may well filter (many do) and add new yeast at packaging. The amount needed for carbonation is not noticeable in the finished beer. It only takes about a half gram of dry yeast to properly condition five gallons, and in less than a week a slightly elevated temperatures.

I've had Fat Tire in a can--same as the bottle. Moose Drool too. A more local brewery in SLC uses cans but I don't like their beer anyway.

I found this link in the news about Micro-Breweries using cans instead of bottles. http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20110130/D9L2QFUO0.html Correct me if I am wrong, but many of us decant the beer off of the yeast layer when pouring from a bottle. Bottling craft beer in cans, and dumping the cans in a cooler would mix the yeast back into suspension, and also give the beer an aluminum flavor. I guess I would have to give one a try, but it sounds like someone just wants to market more beer at average quality, instead of less beer at higher quality.

The Oskar Blues brewery mentioned in the article makes some darned good craft beers in cans; Ten Fidy is a world-class Russian Imperial Stout, Gordon is a find IIPA, and Chub is a very nice Scotch Ale. All 3 of them rate very highly at places like beeradvocate and ratebeer, and they're all pretty tasty to me.

Aluminum cans are lined, so the taste issue isn't a real concern (unless you drink straight from the can). You can easily pour them into glasses as you normally would, but they're lighter and less breakable than glass bottles (which makes them good alternatives for camping trips or taking to venues where glass isn't allowed). They're light-proof, so skunking's not an issue.

Personally, I like having alternatives.

I've had a great Orange Blossom Wheat from Buckbean brewery and they only use cans. I first had it at a tasting thing and the brewery rep was telling me how cans were superior to bottles for most beer. I guess I could see his point - no light, no head space etc... but I still think that many Belgians and other high gravity beers that could stand a little aging are better in bottles.

Personally, I love beer in cans. There is only one local micro here doing it, but I certainly appreciate it. There's something so liberating about drinking beer straight from the can, and I don't notice a metallic taste.

I think that more breweries should package beer this way, because it's way more convenient if you want to go to the beach or anything like that. It's also better for the beer than bottles.

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Best stout I have ever had, and its in both. But I prefer it in the nitrogen filled cans. Man I love that stuff!!!

Cans are definitely better, assuming the beer going into them is good. At the moment, though, it is mostly crap macro breweries using them so they have a bad rap.

At the moment, though, it is mostly crap macro breweries using them so they have a bad rap.

Where the heck have you been the last couple years?

20100128craftbeercans1.jpg

5+Beers.jpg

KH--four-pack.jpg

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

Back