Favorite type of hop(s) to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
After recently making a very tasty APA where I dry hopped with Amarillo I have discovered the real fun of dry hopping my beers. Amarillo smells soooo good, and this weekend I am going to make an IPA with amarillo/simcoe dry hop combo (I've heard good things from this pair). I'm curious what are your alls favorites for dry hopping your beers? I've heard summit is a nice orangey/tangy one to use as well as citra but I haven't gotten to those hops yet. Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for dry hopping an english IPA? (as they tend to be less citrusy/american).

I'm dry hopping my APA and IIPA with Citra and Amarillo combo. We'll see how they turn out. I dry hopped an APA before with Simcoe and it smelled awesome.

My favorite IPA is a combo of simcoe and amarillo, and it's dryhopped with .5 ounce of simcoe and 1 ounce of amarillo.

Another IPA is all centennial, and dryhopped with centennial too.

My house pale ale is dryhopped with homegrown cascades. It's an all cascade recipe, usually, but sometimes I use centennials too.

For English beers, I think East Kent goldings are nice for dryhopping. I'm not a fuggles fan but others really seem to like them.

One of the keys of a good dryhopping is using hops that go well with the flavoring and aroma hops in the recipe.

Other good combos seem to be willamette and cascades together, or any combination of the American "C" hops (chinook, cascade, centennial, even Columbus).

+1 for willamette and cascade. citra also gives an amazing tropical fruit aroma... atleast from my experience. i am not a huge fan of centennial, though, but i have never used it in leaf form. i would like to give amarillo a try.

"Amarillo + Simcoe is awesome for dry hopping."

Completely agree with this. I also love to use whole leaf Cascade to dry hop if I want something a bit more subtle. Anxious to try Citra but have heard that you have to be a bit careful with that hop. I have dry hopped with Cascade successfully in brown ales, steam beer, and less hoppy IPA's. Cascade is pretty forgiving and its hard to screw up anything by dry hopping with it. Montanaandy

+1 Simcoe, not as big a fan of the Amarillo.

Of course I have Amarillo but no Simcoe at the moment.

Just started drinking an American Brown Ale I did with 3 oz of Amarillo as dry hops and the aroma is damn awesome. Amarillo, to me anyway, gives a wonderful flowery/citrus aroma that's not much cat-piss/grapefruit that you get sometimes with the American hops.

I thought simcoe was a bit too strong as far as aroma. I liked amarillo but still tend to lean on cascade as my dry hop of choice.

My favorite ESB, ostensibly an english style beer, from summit brewing in the Twin Cities uses Northdown as a dryhop and it adds a wonderful earthy, grassy flavor that really quenches my thirst. I wish Northdown hops were actually available......

I just bought 1oz of each Cascade and Columbus to dry hop my IPA with. Looking fwd to it. I smelled several of them, amarillo, citra, Simcoe. Cascade blew the others away as far as the pellets smell,so am optimistic about it.

I heard there are some problems with the pellets breaking up in the secondary and then transferring to the bottling bucket. any suggestions on that..

Anyone use Sorachi Ace to dry hop and IPA (or anything beer for that matter?). I purchased some from Niko and I am trying to decide the approach to take with the SA. Thanks, Montanaandy

Latest posts

Back