Measuring sugar? 2/3 C = 5 oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquorbox

Reaction score
So, the kit I have came with 5 oz of very fine sugar. It looks a ton more than 2/3 C, but mathematically 5 is nearly 2/3 of 8 (8 oz = 1 C, right?)

Anyone? Anyone?? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

It should be fine. While there will be some variability in weight due to humidity levels, they wouldn't have added any more sugar than necessary.

They wouldn't be in business too long if all of the beers that their customers were brewing turned into bottle bombs.

:mug:

Is this for bottle conditioning? If so, 2/3 to 3/4 cup is about right. I would follow the instructions when the time comes and use 2/3 cup weather or not there is more there. If you have a digital scale, use that to confirm. That fine corn sugar will look like more than granulated table sugar. It's the old "which weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers"

It's best to measure priming sugar by weight rather than volume. Packing rates especially in brown sugars can vary significantly. You can get a digital mail scale at your local grocery or drug store for less than 20 bucks. Worth every penny since you can use it to measure hops as well.

So, the kit I have came with 5 oz of very fine sugar. It looks a ton more than 2/3 C, but mathematically 5 is nearly 2/3 of 8 (8 oz = 1 C, right?)

8 fluid ounces = 1 cup
no way to get an accurate measure of a powder with a measuring cup. There are just to many variables.
Just weigh it.

The above are correct, if you want to make very accurate dry material measurements, there is no real substitute for weight. However, I don't see any way that you're likely to make a serious enough error on a priming sugar measurement by using volume measurements. Realistically, if you're 10% high or low, unless you've really controlled every other variable well and you are extremely particular about your carbonation level, I doubt you'd ever notice. Certainly you're not going to create bombs or un-carbonated beer due to using volume instead of weight.

3/4 of a cup is about right for a typical carbonation.

Most if not all kits come with 5oz of priming sugar and there is nothing wrong with using the whole pack. Most 5g kits will require 4-5 ozs to be properly carbonated. I have fond that 5oz is usually a little more than needed to carb to style so you can assume a little over carbonation but from the retailers stand point they tend to err on the side of caution as they want all their kits to carbonate.

If you want to be more exact you can use any of the priming sugar calculators on line and use a scale to measure out the proper amount to style, gravity and batch size, you will find most lend towards less than 5 oz

What does your scale say? If you don't have one I would invest in one. Something that allows you to measure to 0.1oz would be good, then you can measure out hops carefully, etc.

Back