Blue Moon Clone Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I have slowly been perfecting this recipe. It started from something I got on these boards so I want to give credit to the board. It is very good and people that try it say it is better then Blue Moon. At my last party, I had over 4 gallons in the keg, and ALL of it went at the party. This is unheard of so it must be good!

For kegging, I set pressure at 15psi serving pressure. This creates a really nice, very creamy head. This beer is very refreshing and if you like Blue Moon, wheat beer, or both, I think you will love this beer!

I do all grinding in a coffee bean grinder.

5 gallon batch

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat liquid Malt Extract (any light wheat extract will do)
2 pound of Light Wheat specialty grains in muslin bag
1 pound of corn sugar (or light DME)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops (10 min)
2 ounces of styrian golding hops (30min)
1 ounce of sweet orange peel GROUND (2 min) (or bitter)
2 ounces of corriander seed GROUND (2 min)
1 bottle of Valencia orange peel (1.5 oz McCormick bottle at the grocery store)
1/2 bottle of grated lemon peel (1.5 oz McCormick bottle at the grocery store)
1 pkg of white labs Belgian wit yeast
55 minute total boil time

Instructions

1) bring as much water as you can (2-3 gallons) to 155 and steep grain bag for 45 minutes to 1 hour, discard grain bag
2) Mix in Coopers Light malt extract and corn sugar, reapply heat, bring to a boil.
3) With 30 minutes remaining in the boil, add Styrian Golding hops.
4) With 10 minutes remaining in the boil, add tettnanger hops.
5) With 2 min remaining in the boil add dry ingredients.
5) pitch yeast when ready
6) Ferment 2 weeks
7) bottle or keg

Good question! It is those "regular" size spice bottles with the green caps that are in the large display at the supermarket. Probably an ounce?

this is going to sound really odd and disgusting. everyone i recommend this to this its a little "fruity" if you know what i mean.

2/3 glass of blue moon
1/3 glass orange soda
top with strawberries.

a bartender friend of mine made this and its really good. so my question is...do you consider this recipe a blue moon clone or a blue moon clone with added orange flavor?

If anything, even with my bumped orange amounts, it still is not quite as orangey as Blue Moon.

That sounds really good. When I make my summer shandy this summer, I plan on adding lemonade to half and orange juice to the other.

What is your grain mixture for this recipe? I have been looking through my LHBS lists of grains and some online vendor pages, and I'm not sure what you'd classify as 2 lbs of Light Wheat Specialty Grains.

Northern Brewer, for example, has Weyerman Pale Wheat . Would you use 2 lbs and have it be 100% Weyerman Pale Wheat? The description on NB's website says that it may constitute 80% of your grains.

I was thinking about brewing this one but I'll definitely have to make some substitutions based on availability at my LHBS. What do you recommend for the grains?

It is two pounds of light WHEAT grains, not weight.

I'd say use any light Wheat grain you can find. Most of your fermentables come from the LME. The grains add a little plus color and aroma. Light wheat has a great smell to it.

I'm going out to get the ingredients to make this for the third time today! I love this and it is always a BIG hit at parties. I really need to make two batches at a time. This goes faster than any other beer I make.

BTW: I am going to use this as my base for a summer shandy.

Oh crap. A few too many Oberon's while brewing today. First Maple Wheat Ale went good but an hour after I finished this brew tonight I found a 1 lb bag of sugar left over. Forgot to add it with the LME. Am I screwed? Can I add it now or what do I do.

Oh crap. A few too many Oberon's while brewing today. First Maple Wheat Ale went good but an hour after I finished this brew tonight I found a 1 lb bag of sugar left over. Forgot to add it with the LME. Am I screwed? Can I add it now or what do I do.

Did you take a gravity reading? I usually get around 1.064. I got a low gravity on another beer once and added some corn sugar to the wort right before I pitched the yeast. I didn't boil or anything. Just wanted to get it done. Probably not the best idea. It at least should be boiled. 1 lb will make a difference. You should add it.

Slipgate. I did boil it for a few minutes and then put it on the floor with a cover on it next to my wort to cool it down. Fell asleep/passed out and remembered at 2am when I woke up and just poured it in. Next morning it was bubbling like crazy. Just praying it turns out okay. OG was 1.046 without that sugar. Not sure what it was supposed to be though from the above ingredients, noob here. What will the sugar bring it up to?

Praying it turns out okay.

You are right on OG with missing a pound of sugar. That pound should put you around 1.060. You should add that ASAP so you still have active fermentation to remove the O2 that you are going to add to the beer/wort once you remove the top of the fermenter. It should not be that big a deal - the active fermentation should fill up the bucket with CO2 quickly once you put the top back on.

What should the sg be? OG and FG please? I need to make a beer the wife will like and this looks like the one! Also do you need to add sugar for the bottling stage to carbonate?

Thanks!

You need to add sugar if bottling. Usually 3/4 cup corn sugar boiled in a pint of water.

I actually am not too sure about the FG. My OG is typically 1.062-1.064. I usually just let it go 2 weeks and it is ready to bottle/keg. It would be the same as any extract beer though. As long as you are around 1.060 you should be fine.

have you thought about using 2 bottles of the McCormick Valencia orange peels, so basically 3 oz. to substitute for the 1 oz of sweet or bitter orange peel. Just wondering if that would be too much orange. Recipe already calls for 1.5 oz

This is what I did for a big orange/citrus aroma & flavor. It's 3 grapefruit, 3 oranges & 2 lemons. I added them at flameout so the boil didn't drive off all the aromatics. Just be careful, the oranges & grapefruits get slippery after about the 3rd one; there was a reason i had to name this one "bloody knuckle wit". I got my recipe from listening to the Brewing Network podcast.

6492F120-orig.jpg
[/IMG]

I did my work yesterday night my gravity reading was approximated 9%. Its this sound right for you? please help?

I have slowly been perfecting this recipe. It started from something I got on these boards so I want to give credit to the board. It is very good and people that try it say it is better then Blue Moon. At my last party, I had over 4 gallons in the keg, and ALL of it went at the party. This is unheard of so it must be good!

For kegging, I set pressure at 15psi serving pressure. This creates a really nice, very creamy head. This beer is very refreshing and if you like Blue Moon, wheat beer, or both, I think you will love this beer!

I do all grinding in a coffee bean grinder.

5 gallon batch

6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat liquid Malt Extract (any light wheat extract will do)
1 pound of corn sugar (or light DME)
1 ounces of tettnanger hops (10 min)
2 ounces of styrian golding hops (30min)
1 ounce of sweet orange peel GROUND (2 min) (or bitter)
2 ounces of corriander seed GROUND (2 min)
1 bottle of Valencia orange peel (1.5 oz McCormick bottle at the grocery store)
1/2 bottle of grated lemon peel (1.5 oz McCormick bottle at the grocery store)
1 pkg of white labs Belgian wit yeast
55 minute total boil time

Instructions

1) bring as much water as you can (2-3 gallons) to 155 and steep grain bag for 45 minutes to 1 hour, discard grain bag
2) Mix in Coopers Light malt extract and corn sugar, reapply heat, bring to a boil.
6) Ferment 2 weeks
7) bottle or keg

I'm new to brewing...do you think it will be OK to bottle this beer? or would it be best left in a keg?

7) bottle or keg

Also I will say this beer definitely benefits from aging. At least a month. 2-3 is better.

Instructions

6) Ferment 2 weeks
7) bottle or keg

So I assume you are adding water in the primary frementer to bring it up to 5 gallons?

Can you use fresh citrus zest instead of the bottled or dried varieties?

Nevermind ... Accidently skipped past the second page of this post. In see the bloody knuckle wit. Think I'm gonna go that route.

Do I need to make a starter for this. I'm using Wyeast Belgian wit and making a 2.5 gallon batch.

Newb here. Gonna try this one next week. Bein a newb and my first brew of this complexity I have some questions.
1. If doing 2.5 gallons can I just cut it all in half?
2. If my LHBS doesn't have sweet orange peel can I get it somewhere else, or is there a particular orange I can zest to achieve it.
3. I usually strain going into primary, is it ok to strain the dry ingredients or do they need to be in primary.
4. Is it ok to use Irish Moss in boil and/or secondary with gelitan.

Sorry if these are dumb question. Thanks in advance

Newb here. Gonna try this one next week. Bein a newb and my first brew of this complexity I have some questions.
1. If doing 2.5 gallons can I just cut it all in half?
2. If my LHBS doesn't have sweet orange peel can I get it somewhere else, or is there a particular orange I can zest to achieve it.
3. I usually strain going into primary, is it ok to strain the dry ingredients or do they need to be in primary.
4. Is it ok to use Irish Moss in boil and/or secondary with gelitan.

Sorry if these are dumb question. Thanks in advance

If you're only doing 2.5 gallons, are you going to do a Full Volume Boil? I would think you could just halve everything, but I would default to a BeerSmith or another program like that to make sure gravities align.

You can get orange peel at the grocery, and it's probably more cost effective than you're LHBS. But quality does affect it. I've used Penzey spices and you can tell the difference.

You can strain the dry. You will get the flavor you want from boiling.

Gelatin is fine in secondary. Personally I like to cold crash, but whatever floats your boat!

thanks man. I'm gonna do a full boil. Was planning on doing this beer on Saturday but my wife is asking for a honey wheat so this one will have to wait tell next time.

Brewed this today! Hated messing with the recipe but I wound up not adding the corn sugar. Needed a lower ABV for SWMBO. Anyone think this will change the beer a lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

living in uk some of the ingredients are unavailable to us Valencia orange peel and bottle of grated lemon peel :(

living in uk some of the ingredients are unavailable to us Valencia orange peel and bottle of grated lemon peel :(

Make your own! Take an orange and lemon, grate off the peel (don't get the white pith), put them on wax paper and dry them overnight. Store them in a container in the refrigerator until you're ready to brew with them. It's actually a lot cheaper. I do this with grapefruit peel for my IPAs.

Ok so I made this as my first brew ever and am superexcited. Cooked up a 5 gallon batch exactly 2 weeks ago, and am now ready to bottle (I think), so I have some questions:

- How do I know the beer is ready to be bottled and the initial fermentation process is complete? I read that I should measure the density two days in a row, and if it is the same it's ready? Also, what density should I be aiming for?

- I assume I do not need a secondary fermentation in another vessel? what would be the pro's and cons? If I need one, how long?

- how much sugar should I add to get the bottle fermentation started for a 5 gallon batch? Will any sugar do?

- At what temperature should I store the bottles? and for how long? I read that once they are carbonized sufficiently I should move them to the fridge to stop further carbonization?

- How long should I wait before trying my first beer after bottling? 1 week? 2 weeks? More? I assume that if I crack one open (after putting it in the fridge for 24 hours) and I like the amount of carbonisation, I should add the rest of the bottles to the fridge as well? (and vice versa: when not carbonized enough, try again after a few days?)

Thanks in advance for all the info!

We tried this over the weekend and it is turning out well. Instead of lemon peel in the can, we zested about 8 lemons and used that instead. It seems to have done the trick.

I had a question, what is the target ABV? I want to know if we end up anywhere close to it. You know, for posterity.

Latest posts

Back