WLP029 Kolsch Yeast anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Have any of you used this yeast before?

I started the starter yesterday evening and was surprised to find it alread folocculating this morning. Starter was foaming but looked like cottage cheese in the bottom when I pitched it about 2 1/2 hours ago.

I just checked the carboy and damn this stuf is growing quick. My carboy is now full of large curds of yeast. This is much different than any other yeast I've used. Usually, I've got much finer grains of yeast swirling about. This stuff is growing in colonies. Still in the growth stage right now and some lumps are starting to move to the top but no krausen or rapid bubbling yet.

I had the same thing happen with a British Ale Yeast (WLP005). I thought the yeast was bad it looked so nasty. Once it got started those big hunks were moving around so fast I thought there was something alive in the carboy. :eek:

The batch I have in primary right now started out really strange too. After I pitched, it got all "wispy" inside the carboy--it looked like cirrus clouds inside the wort. I had never seen that before. It went away within a few hours though. That yeast was Nottingham/Danstar.

I brewed a really nice alt with the white labs German Ale/Kolsch (WLP 029). I was very happy with it. White labs says it results in slight sulpher profile, but I didn't notice any at all.

It was an unusual looking batch, mind you. Don't sweat it.

I have two batches going right now, one with Nottingham the other with Windsor and they both did the high speed curds thing. I thought to myself, holy Sh#t! Who needs a lava lamp. "Stare into the carboy, stare into the carboy".

Next time I'm going to video tape that effect and put it on a loop on the TV. Should trip people out.
Ok, yeah, I'm weird. :D

I used that strain for my Kolsch. Worked great, came out good. It did take off fast in my starter also. You may notice it also has a sulphuric odor when working.

Denny's Brew said:
I thought to myself, holy Sh#t! Who needs a lava lamp. "Stare into the carboy, stare into the carboy".
Ok, yeah, I'm weird. :D

Put me right there with you. I can watch it too. It's quite a show. The large chunks just seeme to give a greater indication of speed. I'm amaized how they move around in there.

It's churning big time right now and the karusen is to the blow off tube on a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Back