Bells Winter White ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is old, but I am gonna bump it back up.

Any thoughts on what this brew would have for a grain bill?

I am thinking there is some wheat malt in there.

I really want to put some effort into cloning this this year. As soon as it becomes available I'll grow up a starter and start stockpiling the yeast. I have seen no recipes, so I plan to fake it unless I come up with something solid between now and then.

It uses a blend of Hefe yeast and Belgian yeast. Probably something like 60% wheat and 40% 2row or pilsner. Maybe 20ibu. A little coriander and orange peel.

The yeast blend is what's going to get me. If I culture from the bottles who knows what I'll get if it's blended.

Your grain bill and bitterness is a good start, there's no spices though. It's all from the yeast; Winter White Ale

why not use a fresh Hefe and a Belgian yeast ?

I remember the beer has a clove note from the Hefe yeast.

I'm thinking about running an early test batch before the seasonal comes out with Fermentis T-58. People seem to find it to be a middle of the road belgian strain - not too hefe, and not too spicy either, and very adjustable by temp.

Hops ... UK Hallertau?

How does this sound?
50% Pilsner
50% flaked wheat
1oz Belma FWH
1 oz Willamette 10 mins
Forbidden Fruit

Mash 150
OG 1.050

I plan to give this a go this weekend

How does this sound?
50% Pilsner
50% flaked wheat
1oz Belma FWH
1 oz Willamette 10 mins
Forbidden Fruit

Mash 150
OG 1.050

I plan to give this a go this weekend

Looking forward to your results

Stay posted. I brewed a batch similar to the one above, but dropped the Belma and went with Willamette at 60 and 10 min. The Forbidden Fruit ripped though it in less than 48h and I am letting it sit around for another week before packaging. I will update once I give it a taste.

Here is a quick update. When I tested the FG it was 1.020! I subsequently realized that my thermometer was not calibrated, and I must have mashed around 158... Lesson learned- I will always double check the thermometer- especially after it has been sitting outside in the wicked cold!

I got a starter going of TYB Dry Belgian and pitched that earlier this week and it went back to town fermenting. That strain has been an absolute animal for me.

Based on the taste of the sample, I think you need to use a weizen yeast to clone the winter white. My clone was more like a wit and less like a hefe in comparison with the real thing. Regardless, it is pretty tasty and I look forward to sampling this when it dries out more.

Here is a quick update. When I tested the FG it was 1.020! I subsequently realized that my thermometer was not calibrated, and I must have mashed around 158... Lesson learned- I will always double check the thermometer- especially after it has been sitting outside in the wicked cold!

I got a starter going of TYB Dry Belgian and pitched that earlier this week and it went back to town fermenting. That strain has been an absolute animal for me.

Based on the taste of the sample, I think you need to use a weizen yeast to clone the winter white. My clone was more like a wit and less like a hefe in comparison with the real thing. Regardless, it is pretty tasty and I look forward to sampling this when it dries out more.

How did the final product turn out? Would you recommend any changes to the recipe?

I am not sure that I can say much with any confidence because the end result was not at all what I intended. On my next attempt I will go with a similar grain bill and blend a hefe yeast with an American ale yeast and run it on the cooler side. My yeast profile was way off target...

I see... There's a recipe on brewtoad that uses spices, but I wanted to avoid that, since Bell's doesn't use any spices. I'll probably give it a shot w/ just yeast and see how it turns out this weekend.

Planning this for xmas gifts for family that don't like to stray far from B/M/C type beers. Still want to brew something I will like, though :p

I am not sure that I can say much with any confidence because the end result was not at all what I intended. On my next attempt I will go with a similar grain bill and blend a hefe yeast with an American ale yeast and run it on the cooler side. My yeast profile was way off target...

Bump! I had a few pints of this over Christmas in Michigan and thought it was a wonderful beer. I have not been able to find anything about brewing this beer. This thread had the best info I could find. I like the idea of a flavorful and spicy beer without adding spices. I am guessing that the yeast is key...but also wondering if there is anything special with Bell's brewing or fermentation process. How about WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale or WLP410 Belgian Wit II Ale?

Back