Hops Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivergothe

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I'll give it a shot. I have been desperately trying to find a recipe for hops soup (note: not hop vine soup) for a year now. I don't know if this even exists but as a hops lover I must believe that someone has experiment with dropping some whole hops into a soup and created something magical.

If any of you have any recipes or know where I could find one, I'd truly appreciate the input

Also... love this place

Oliver

There is a cooking forum here. I don't think I would like a hop soup though, maybe a sprinkle in chicken soup might be ok but I am sure I could do without that too, but that is just me.

If you are going to try this, you will want to add the hops to the finished soup right before you serve it.

Might be good in an ale cheddar soup where you would add some ale and some hops after all the cooking is complete and you are about to serve it.

Bitterness is your enemy.

i agree. it would definitely have to be a very late addition of a low aa% hops... My personal favorite right now is hallertau, i like the ale cheddar idea.

Try to find "teamaker" hops. A variety bred specifically for their lack of alpha acids. For use in tea's, medicinals (SOUP!) :) good luck... definitely add them late, ever made hop tea? you could try some timing/hop combinations and see if you find something that might compliment the soup. Or steep some tea for a short period and strain and mix it with the soup, so that you dont have hop vegetable matter in there, and so the AA's stop bittering...

Back