Moroccan Inspired Fermented Rice Dessert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00radio

Reaction score
So my book club meeting this week for some reason decided to pick the food theme of Moroccan. I've never actually had Moroccan food, but after looking around online, I came up with an idea. I've already done a few batches of the rice wine on this forum, and since my book club is incredibly booze oriented (the group is called "Reading Between the Wines"), I figured I might as well have some fun with it.

So here's what I'm doing: I started a batch of rice wine fermenting Tuesday night. Four cups of jasmine rice, 1 cup of sushi rice, and half a cup of purple wild sweet rice (for color). After soaking for an hour, I rinsed the rice and then cooked it with a 1:1 ratio of water. Cooled it down, and then added it to my fermenting bucket with 3 powdered Chinese yeast balls.

Tonight, I'll be adding an extra cup of sugar and thoroughly mixing it all to hopefully up the boozy-ness/sweetness a bit. I'll let it sit for another 24 hours before making the rest of the dish.

Tomorrow, I'll spread it out in a pan and then top it with a pudding. Ingredients I'm planning on using for it are:

4 c. whole milk
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbls. cornstarch
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls. Orange Flower Water
1/2 c. Almond Slivers
1 stick cinnamon

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in pan, add milk, whisking to combine. Add cinnamon stick. Heat until just bubbling, stirring constantly. Temper yolks and add to mixture, cook for two minutes. Take off heat, add 1 Tbls. butter and Orange Flower Water and stir thoroughly. Remove cinnamon stick. Pour over fermented rice mixture. Take additional butter, heat over medium heat and toast almonds. Sprinkle on top. Sprinkle additional cinnamon on top if needed. Cool in fridge for 24 hours, letting it set.

So I'm not really much of a cook, but occasionally I like to have some fun in the kitchen. I'm thinking I might want to drop the cornstarch and just use the eggs as a thickener. I don't want it too thick. What do you think? Any tweaks or suggestions that might make it better?

Is this more or less fermented rice pudding?? Sounds awesome but dosent the yeast balls break all of the starch of the rich into a mush??

so how did it work? i could see cutting back a bit on the corn starch but i wouldn't eliminate it completely...

Back