fg too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post and I would like to start by thanking everyone for the valuable information i have gathered here.

I just checked the gravity on my first batch of brew after 2 weeks in the ferminter and it is at 1.000 , is this too low? The beer was a porter made from an extract kit from my lhbs . I hit my target og dead on at 1.050. The target fg is around 1.012. Do i need to worry about off flavours from my gravity? So far the beer seems to smell and taste fine although it has picked up some carbonation from the ferminter , is this normal? Should i just let it sit untill the gravity stabilizes or should i do something to halt fermintation?

thank you in advance for your input

I think a gravity of 1.000 would indicate you now have distilled water? Who else can chime in? You may want to check the calibration on your hydrometer by take a reading of distilled water and ensuring it reads at 1.000. There are a lot of gurus on this subject, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct but I think I may have gotten you on the right track. Everyone please correct....

Seems nearly impossible that you could reach 1.000. If you have good yeast attenuation you can drop close to it in some instances though. If it has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks then virtually all the fermentation has already taken place and there is no reason to expect further reduction in OG.

Also if you are truly at 1.000 then there is no sugar content left in the beer so fermentation must have halted itself.

Make sure that you are adjusting you hydrometer reading for difference in beer temp vs calibrated temperature of the hydrometer. Most are calibrated at 60 degrees Fahrenheit in which case for every 10 degrees higher that the sample is you +.002 to your FG reading.

Hope this helps!

I agree that this is most likely an issue with the hydrometer or in reading it.

However, note that a 1.000 reading doesn't mean no sugars. As alcohol has a lower SG than water, high alcohol contents can cause lower than expected hydrometer readings. In fact, it's not unusual for a highly attenuated champagne to have a FG LOWER than 1. However, due to the unfermentabe sugars in malts, this is highly unlikely to happen to beer unless you get infected.

It is probably fine...just a little higher ABV.

I did a cream ale in early November that called for small amounts of carapils and crystal malt, and a pound of corn sugar in the recipe. It started at 1.050 and finished at 1.000. Turned out great. :mug:

My other brews have all come in at 1.010 give or take a point. They have more steeping grains.

Latest posts

Back