Jumpin' on the wagon could be a good thing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Over the weekend I put a lot of thought behind my decision to hold off on drinking for a while. I am 24 and have been drinking steadily since I was 19. I have at one point slowed down my drinking to maybe the weekends.

Now that I am 24 and I already am having some type of back problems from manual labor and sleeping problems (alpha intrusion). I decided I am to young for any of this. I am not blaming it on the drinking but the drinking definetly has to do with he fact that I am 5'6 and weigh 183 pounds. I can loose a few pounds to level off my bmi.

So I decided time to start working out again cut the drinking down to celebration. I have a serenade and a wedding in the next month.

Now onto home brewing. I will still home brew mainly due to the fact that I can build up an extensive amount of different beers. In perfect time for halloween, thanksgiving, christmas and new years! As my drinking comes to a hault my home brew will continue to flourish. :) When the time comes I will have a large variety of beers to drink. I might still have to do the regular tasting after two weeks in the bottle but that wont hurt.

Best of luck. I know I wouldn't be able to keep brewing and stop drinking. You are a better person than me I guess.

That is the beauty of home brewing, quality control :)
Keep telling yourself it is quality control, sometimes it takes 2 or 6 beers to determine the quality. :)

Over the weekend I put a lot of thought behind my decision to hold off on drinking for a while. I am 24 and have been drinking steadily since I was 19. I have at one point slowed down my drinking to maybe the weekends.

Now that I am 24 and I already am having some type of back problems from manual labor and sleeping problems (alpha intrusion). I decided I am to young for any of this. I am not blaming it on the drinking but the drinking definetly has to do with he fact that I am 5'6 and weigh 183 pounds. I can loose a few pounds to level off my bmi.

So I decided time to start working out again cut the drinking down to celebration. I have a serenade and a wedding in the next month.

Now onto home brewing. I will still home brew mainly due to the fact that I can build up an extensive amount of different beers. In perfect time for halloween, thanksgiving, christmas and new years! As my drinking comes to a hault my home brew will continue to flourish. :) When the time comes I will have a large variety of beers to drink. I might still have to do the regular tasting after two weeks in the bottle but that wont hurt.

Good Luck! I've slowed my drinking a lot as well. I'm getting fat! Brewing won't slow though, I've had a lot of fun sharing the beers and demand is up, so thats a fun feeling.

I joined a gym as well, but all I've noticed is that when I get home, I really want to annihilate a bag of chips and a sixxer. Holding off from doing that is harder than the workout at the gym!

haha I am hoping I can hold off for a little while . SWMBO still wont believe me until I got a whole week without drinking and a whole two weeks without getting drunk.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I go to JMU and visited my VA Tech friends for the game last weekend. (haha) After drinking Friday night and before the game I just felt so awful I didn't drink on Sat night. We went to a party that was the biggest ****show I have ever seen and it was only 11PM. There was non-stop drama, a near-fight, and then the rent-a-cops got involved. I still had a good time but it was the first time I've gone to that type of party sober, and I actually felt great. I felt like everyone there was just a trainwreck. When some wasted guy made fun of me, I just laughed it off since this guy was such a fool, rather than get in a real confrontation like I probably would have done if I'd been drinking.

Anyways, long story short, I felt way more together and with it. That's another reason to ease up.

I've always been a skinny guy, but now in my late 20's I really feel the effects health wise of drinking. I miss my lacrosse days when i could run without a problem. Not anymore. age, and life get in the way. I have lost all desire to "do it up" anymore. Hell I can't stand a packed bar with dribbling idiots. those days have pasted, i enjoyed them while i did. Plus I pay for it the next day. My wifes cousin is slowly starting to relize the effects of his age on his nights out.

Rex - JMU alum here (05' 06'MAT) Saturday was like Christmas....how's the burg these days? I was never impressed with many of the Tech parties I went to. Too many guys attend the school which throws off the ratio and craps happens so much easier. JMU was better cause the beer was always free.

Rex - JMU alum here (05' 06'MAT) Saturday was like Christmas....how's the burg these days? I was never impressed with many of the Tech parties I went to. Too many guys attend the school which throws off the ratio and craps happens so much easier. JMU was better cause the beer was always free.

Well there was a riot last year during the spring block parties, was national news and now the cops are cracking down a lot more. I don't care because I'm over 21 and not an idiot, though. Here's a funny video:

Hopefully there will be a Harrisonburg brew club soon (Sorry Stillstoked!)

Tech parties have been fun but between my two friends who go there, they've had an xbox, ipod, and digital camera stolen during their parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is always good to be able to evaluate yourself honestly like that... even better that you are testing your self control by brewing at the same time, lol.

I reached a point a while back where I was concerned alcohol was becoming an issue so I quit drinking totally for about 5 years. Since I've resumed drinking I've taken up brewing and enjoy it. I don't drink near as much as I used to and I seem to enjoy it more.

Sounds like a lot of irresponsible drinking has caused you guys to re-evaluate and make a decision based on the path you were leading yourselves down. More power to you. Way too many people do not recognize the fact that something is wrong until it is too late and often not even then!! I have watched my own brother reduce himself to a useless non-working couch ornament, drinking each and every day of his life away....Worst part of it is that he thinks he is fine, despite being fired from his job, wrecking his car (more than once), etc...Good Luck!

i'm 23 and just had a health evaluation... uhh... not what it should be.. especially not BMI and cholesterol. I knew my weight has been going up and that I couldn't run the bases like I used to, but I never saw the numbers before; it definately opened my eyes.

I was a twig all the way through highschool. I started drinking at 18 and obviously still do. I have gained about 40 lbs since highschool and have a nice lil belly on me. Last year when I worked second shift I drank everyday after work, at least a sixer.

Since moving to 3rd shift I have cut it back, but I'd like to try quitting. I believe in making short term goals, because they're easier, then extending them. Like "I can go two weeks. Okay. that was easy. Two more." and so on.

I don't get drunk everyday or beat my family or anything.. but it's pretty disappointing when you drive over a set of railroad tracks and feel yourself "jiggle" lol

Latest posts

Back