Planting Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Ok, got mine in yesterday (finally!!)

I've got some sprouts.. do I need to make sure the sprouts are coming up through the soil when planting? or just throw that bad boy in the dirt and let 'er rip ;)

I was told to bury them at least 1" deep but read that up to 4" would be good as well. I dug through the mulch in my flower bed and laid down a few inches of miracle grow potting soil. Then I put the rhizome down roots down sprouts up and covered with a couple of inches of the potting soil. I have almost 20 pine trees on my lot so I covered the mound with pine needles to prevent weeds.

There's no need to have the sprouts sticking through, but you should be careful not to damage them while burying the rhizome. I've heard a plethora of correct depths, as Belmont mentioned.

cool thanks.. should be a fun gardening year.. i have 4 grape vines for some wine & my hops :)

planted 8-10 ft apart with a 7ft tall trellis to make it easier to harvest the fruit..
no yield yet, only been planted for about 6 days ;)
however, i know people that have this same variety and they can get up to 110 gallons of wine off 2 vines..

yea from what i read that's about 500 gallons of ripe grapes :)

bring that on!!!

you likely will not see those kinds of yields for several years. I have several different varieties that I have planted over the years and they say it takes about 4-5 yrs bfore they really produce. I think mine were a little quicker than that though.

I'm hoping to get enough for a 1 gallon batch this season.. and let it sit..
i dont care really.. i'm excited for the little savings that i'll have over the seasons..
and it'll be pretty fun walking out and picking a bunch of grapes for a fruit salad as well :)

Back