Foreign Extra Stout Belma Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmdubb23

Reaction score
This was the first recipe I won a medal with... it kinda works in 2 categories Foreign Extra and American Stout... it still is on my rotation

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb carapils
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb chocolate malt

60 minute boil

.5 oz Belma @ 60 min
.5 oz Belma @ 30 min
.5 oz Belma @ 10 min

Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast
Mash @ 156 for 60 minutes
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.016 although I have had it finish dryer

Ferment below 70° for 10-12 days
I generally don't secondary this but I have let it sit in the primary for upwards of 20...

Perfect! I've got a pound of Belma on the way, and while I liked it in my session saison and IPA, this will let me mix it up a bit! My only concern is that Belma is pretty subtle. Do the berry/melon flavors come through at all?

Perfect! I've got a pound of Belma on the way, and while I liked it in my session saison and IPA, this will let me mix it up a bit! My only concern is that Belma is pretty subtle. Do the berry/melon flavors come through at all?

Yes they do... especially when the hop is fresh... for best results brew with relatively hard high carbonate (burtonesque) water... I have made with straight RO and it does not carry the hop flavors nearly as well

Ha... Hard water is great on stouts!!!

True, true. Just hoping it's not over the top. I've only brewed a couple batches with filtered tap water (previously used bottled), so I don't really have a good measure on just how hard it is.

I put a lot of thought into wording the above sentence to keep it from becoming a 'that's what she said' joke. Not sure I've succeeded...

Back