Bought the wrong LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I have a recipe I want to brew(tomorrow).
Partial Mash:
Steeped grains: 45 minutes@155
2lbs pale 2 row
4 oz caramel 60L
4 oz Roasted Barley

2lbs Wheat DME
3.3 lbs of wheat LME( supposed to be Pale LME)

1.25oz Target 60 min
.5 oz Styrian Goldings 15 min
.5oz Styrian Goldings flame out

Safe ale S-04 dry yeast.

with the accidental purchase of the wheat LME, is the flavor going to change alot? Maybe add some honey to make it a honey wheat?

Wheat LME isn't just wheat as that is very difficult to make so they mix wheat and pale malt with about 35% of that being wheat because any more and it goobers (technical terminology) up the equipment so your wheat LME is 65% pale LME. Sure the taste will change, but not by much.

it may not be exactly like your clone, but hell I'd drink it :) Imo brewing is all about trying new things anyway. Or just buy new malt, and save the wheat for a nice summer raspberry or blueberry, or blackberry, or honey wheat :D

But for realsies i seriously doubt you'll be able to notice a big difference. If you dont like it send it to me ;-)

techbrewie said:
it may not be exactly like your clone, but hell I'd drink it :) Imo brewing is all about trying new things anyway. Or just buy new malt, and save the wheat for a nice summer raspberry or blueberry, or blackberry, or honey wheat :D

But for realsies i seriously doubt you'll be able to notice a big difference. If you dont like it send it to me ;-)

+1
Split the batch and send some this way! :D

Brewed it up...took a sip out of the gravity tube, tastes like beer. really good actually. hit my OG, now I wait for ferment/bottle/conditioning.

dmashl, I do that with hops all the time - brew with what I've got, that I think will work well in that recipe, rather than buying hops specifically for a recipe. I do it with grains, sometimes, too. For example, I almost always buy Munich in bulk, so will seldom buy Vienna if a recipe calls for it, I'll sub Munich. I also buy 20L and 60L crystal in bulk, so will almost never buy 40L or 30L or 10L, but rather sub. Never say never, but I do that a lot.

Back