Obsidian Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, the teacher in me got carried away. I guess I can save that answer for a newbie;) I think that the wheat adds more softness and head retention than that slippery oaty creaminess, so I think adding oats to the existing recipe would be OK.

I brewed it today. OG was 1.064 and this is the most delicious wort I've ever tasted. Pitched a blend of London Ale III 1318 and American Ale 1056 from starters of washed yeast. Fermentation chamber is set at 63 which should keep this right around 65-66. Can't wait until this is done and kegged. I'm guessing primary 3 weeks and keg 2 weeks would be good?

Wow! The outcome of this brew is extremely close if not dead on Obsidian stout and I'm saying that as I taste the wort and a bottle of Obsidian stout side by side. There's a pretty strong alcohol flavor. Mine came out at 6.3% abv. The flavor should go away as everything blends over the next couple weeks. The yeast blend worked great. I washed the cake and will be using this blend again.

Glad it turned out so well. Its about time to brew a stout and I will have to put this on my list to re-brew. I have never blended yeasts before, but have considered it. Did you pitch equal volumes of each yeast? Love the freedom of tweaking homebrew!

p.s. What was your oat addition?

Glad it turned out so well. Its about time to brew a stout and I will have to put this on my list to re-brew. I have never blended yeasts before, but have considered it. Did you pitch equal volumes of each yeast? Love the freedom of tweaking homebrew!

p.s. What was your oat addition?

Yes, I made 1.6 L starters from washed yeast of each type. Cold crashed them and pitched them both into the wort. Great clean English flavor from the 1318. It's almost as if the esters from the 1056 mask the overly "beery" flavor of the 1318.

Here's the recipe from Jamil's show on the brewing network:

Obsidian Stout

SG: 1.065 - 1.068
FG: 1.017 - 1.020
IBU 52 - 57
Boil: 90 min.
Mash: 150 for 60 min.

11.9 lb. Pale 2-Row
1.43 lb. Black Barley
1.1 lb. Crystal 80
.66 lb. Cara-pils
.66 lb. Munich Malt
.66 lb. Wheat Malt
.11 lb. Roasted Barley

1 oz. Galena or Nugget 90 min.
1 oz. Willamette 30 min.
1 oz. Northern Brewer 5 min.

White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)
Ferment at 65 degrees

You're my hero dude, I don't know if you're even still on these forums as this seems to be an old thread I found by searching Obsidian Stout lol. I may try brewing this on the upcoming Saturday. I was originally planning to brew another batch of Fresh Squeezed IPA, but I already have a Chinook IPA fermenting, I'd like to get a little bit of variety and this is one stout I absolutely loved. Also mixed with ice cream it'll make a better float than root beer ever will :D

Latest posts

Back