Memorial Day False Bottom Free Shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From now till midnight 5-28-12
1. Have a False Bottom in your cart.
2. Have order placed on the website before 12:01 AM 5-29-12
3. Respond to this thread with your order number (HBT only offer :D)
4. Choose "local pickup" when you check out.
and I will cover shipping!

Adding a Nor Cal Brewing Solutions tee shirt to the order, will bump shipping to priority ;)

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product488.html

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jaybird,

I'm looking to convert a keg into a mash tun. When looking at your false bottoms I notice you have some with stands and some without. Which do you recommend stand or no stand? Thanks.

Stands would be mash tuns that have a flat bottom, kegs have the concave bottom so no stand necessary.

Stands are mainly used for those with coolers I believe, but flat bottom pots could be used as well

most the kegs converted to mash tuns that I see have false bottoms with stands. (PICO style). I'm just curious if one 'stays put' better than another. I realize with a stand I would have to accommodate for more dead space

most the kegs converted to mash tuns that I see have false bottoms with stands. (PICO style). I'm just curious if one 'stays put' better than another. I realize with a stand I would have to accommodate for more dead space

I use a converted keg for my mash tun and have the Pico style false bottom, which I haven't grown very fond of yet. I use a pump to recirculate and have had the false bottom collapse on me on several occasions (truth be told I was told that this could happen with the pump that I bought). Plus I don't like the fact that I have to add close to 3 gallons of water to my mash tun before it even touches the grain. Now I'm considering a false bottom like Jaybird's.

I use a converted keg for my mash tun and have the Pico style false bottom, which I haven't grown very fond of yet. I use a pump to recirculate and have had the false bottom collapse on me on several occasions (truth be told I was told that this could happen with the pump that I bought). Plus I don't like the fact that I have to add close to 3 gallons of water to my mash tun before it even touches the grain. Now I'm considering a false bottom like Jaybird's.

Heh, Thanks Bill. Is that the one Adventures sells?

Heh, Thanks Bill. Is that the one Adventures sells?
It is Dan, both the false bottom (with stands) and the pump. They sell 2 pumps, 1/100 hp & 1/25 hp. They suggested the 1/100 for use with my mash tun but I went with the bigger is better logic and got the 1/25 instead. The club's Pico system has the same false bottom and I haven't run into or heard of the same collapsing problem. Not sure what pumps the club's system has though. Would really like to see Jaybird's recommendation / thoughts about this.

Order #1992. Had to pay for shipping to complete the order, so hopefully you can just refund it. Thanks!

Which is the size for the 10 gal. Igloo? If I have my own weldless bulkhead, what else wouldI need? A diptube? Thanks in advance!

Hey Jaybird,

I'm looking to convert a keg into a mash tun. When looking at your false bottoms I notice you have some with stands and some without. Which do you recommend stand or no stand? Thanks.

Well I have been selling a 16.99 stand that works with the 15" false bottom and does not raise the false bottom any. It sits under the false bottom in the center. I don't have it on the site yet as we started making these for the guys doing massive grain bills and using a RIMS system where your pulling real hard on the grain bed. I am having Victor add this to the site in the next day or 2
Most people (about 98%) dont require a stand and have killer luck. I also like the Hop Blocker Mini @ (1.5" tall) as a stand because it adds yet 1 more way to block grain from getting in the dip tube. I use a mini in my system as a stand myself and love it, but I do huge 12 gallon batches and push my system to the max!

This is the Mini

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product98.html

It is Dan, both the false bottom (with stands) and the pump. They sell 2 pumps, 1/100 hp & 1/25 hp. They suggested the 1/100 for use with my mash tun but I went with the bigger is better logic and got the 1/25 instead. The club's Pico system has the same false bottom and I haven't run into or heard of the same collapsing problem. Not sure what pumps the club's system has though. Would really like to see Jaybird's recommendation / thoughts about this.

Well of you know I am going to recommend the Jaybird 15" over any others out there...:D If your worried about it collapsing get a stand for the keggle and 15" or buy a mini, cant go wrong there.

Which is the size for the 10 gal. Igloo? If I have my own weldless bulkhead, what else wouldI need? A diptube? Thanks in advance!
All 10 gallon coolers measure different. What you need to do is when you order the 10 gallon cooler kit is measure the bottom of your cooler 2" above the bottom and get me that measurement, I will custom cut the false bottom to fit your cooler. No you really don't need a diptube, the false bottom will sit above the drain.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jaybird. Another question, by you stating that u need the measurement 2 inches from the bottom, am i to assume that i need the bottom with the stand when i order? Also you need the diameter from inside edge ti inside edge, right? Finally, when i get thst number, do i order the next size up from my measurement and the put the customized info in a comment box? Thanks.

Well of you know I am going to recommend the Jaybird 15" over any others out there... If your worried about it collapsing get a stand for the keggle and 15" or buy a mini, cant go wrong there.

Thanks for the feedback Jaybird! So, if I go with the 15" false bottom and a mini, how much water am I looking at below the false bottom until I hit the grain? My biggest complaint with the Pico false bottom is the 3 gallons I need to account for before touching the grain. Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback Jaybird! So, if I go with the 15" false bottom and a mini, how much water am I looking at below the false bottom until I hit the grain? My biggest complaint with the Pico false bottom is the 3 gallons I need to account for before touching the grain. Thanks again!

I am going to test this and give you an exact amount. Give me 10 min..
Cheers
Jay

Exactly 3.3 Qts

Cheers
Jay

ok sounds like I should order a 1.5 inch hop blocker with a hole and a false bottom with a hole. I'm assuming the hop blocker goes in the very center of the keggle and the hole will line up with the false bottom hole?

So I have had several PM's today about people wanting to get the Free Shipping deal but they were out of town for the holiday.

I am going ot extend this till midnight tonight for those people. If you want in on the deal hit, the website and place the order.

Thanks for all the orders guys I am in the fab shop today building like a mad man to get all these built and out the door today. I'll do my best!

Cheers
Jay

Just wanted to say you guys have great customer service. Called me when I made a boneheaded mistake and didn't order with hinge to ask if I wanted a hinge for easy install and removal. Definitely will order more from you guys!

Back