sulfury odor from notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
bottled a batch of centennial blonde last night... The AC went out for a few days while it was in primary, temp upstairs was nearly 100, downstairs (where the fermentation closet is) reached mid 80s. I was affraid i'd get some impact, but this was a killer strong cloud of sulfur stench that knocked me down when i removed the lid. yeast remnants around the surface of the beer looked slick and shiny.

bottled it anyway, did have some noticeable sulfur notes when i tasted it.

did i waste my time or is this gonna diminish in the bottle?

Mid 80's is very high, especially considering that the temp of fermentation is typically several degrees higher than ambient. That said, there's a good chance that any problems will disappear with time. Taste a bottle 3 weeks after bottling day, and if it isn't good try another a month or so later. Time tends to heal most problems.

My experiences with Nottingham at higher temperatures has been lots of harsh fusel alcohols with a mild sulfur taste/smell. It did improve with age, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Back