Homemade Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSM

Reaction score
I was inspired and decided to try to make butter. Nothing could be easier!

Last night I made a "sweet" and salted butter and also inoculated a quart of cream with some buttermilk and let it set.

Used the cuisinart to "churn" it. Started the cream at 60F and it was butter/buttermilk in under 3 minutes. Drained the first pint in a collandar while I chruned the 2nd pint. Put both clumps of butter back in the food processor and added some icewater. It took about 4 cycles before the water ran clear.

After that, its the hard part. I have a few butter paddles from my grandmother, I worked the butter for about 20 minutes to get as much water out as possible. Molded in a bowl and done!

The sweet butter is great. I didn't salt the "sour" butter and it's also great. I'm pretty sure we've seen the last off store bought butter.

Sundays breakfast is going to be buttermilk pancakes, made with fresh buttermilk. Collected almost a quart in this process.

When I was a kid, we did a project at school where we took a pint of heavy cream and shook the bajesus out of it until it turned to 'butter'. t was delicious. I always wondered what would finish the process off...

I use a quart of heavy cream and end up with about 1/2lb. of butter (maybe a bit more) and a 1/2 quart of Buttermilk. I use a KitchenAide stand mixer and the first time I did it, I did not cover the bowl with a towel and walked away from the mixer for a few moments. I returned to buttermilk all over the place and spent about a half hour cleaning up the counter, floor and mixer.

The buttermilk can be cultured and used to make cheese creations or use it for biscuits or pancakes. YUMYUM!

Salute! :mug:

Back