Rolling boil vs. regular boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I was wondering what a rolling boil achieves that a regular boil doesn't.

I'm using a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer (aluminum) on a stove top.

Will boiling an additional 15-30 minutes make up for what a rolling boil does to the beer?

Is there another way to make up for it, such as stirring frequently?

Thanks in advance

A boil is a boil as far as I'm concerned for hops, wort, etc.
A roiling boil allows for more surface contact to allow for faster evaporation is the only difference I know of.

A rolling boil is all that is needed. You don't need the wort leaping out of the kettle during your boil. Actually a very hard boil will cause more melanoidin formation and potentially throw off the intended flavor of your beer. You need convection not a tsunami.

The boil does so much more than just evaporate water:

Hop Utilization
Precipitates protiens
Improves head formation
Drives off DMS

Etc...

This is sort of like asking, "can I get a ticket for driving fast?"

How fast is fast? What is the speed limit? Some things have to be quantified.

I believe a rolling boil may aid in making clearer beers.

Pretty sure that was mentioned in the Brewstrong Podcast on Chill Haze.

It's also fun to watch a rolling boil.

I'm guessing it helps break down proteins and the like, but can one get closer to what a rolling boil does by string vigorously?

I'm guessing it helps break down proteins and the like, but can one get closer to what a rolling boil does by string vigorously?

Boiling is boiling- when the big bubbles roll over and break and do it again. Anything less is a simmer- not a boil. A boil is required to do those things the Pol listed.

So, no, you won't get the same results with stirring or anything less than a boil.

There was a discussion regarding the concept of "boiling" on a brew strong show. I remember the conclusion was that as long as the surface of the water is moving, then you are boiling.

Aside from melanoidin formation etc (actually, I just remember that it was the melanoidin Brew Strong where I heard the above discussion...), the more you boil the more you evaporate and waste propane (if your using a burner). For a while I was turning my burner up to max and the thing was boiling away like crazy - and my evaporation rates were about double what is considered normal. In the end an overly zealous boil is nothing more than a wasteful inconvenience.

Back