$35 Ranco Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Clay

Reaction score
I think I might have wasted $65 today on a Ranco for my fermentation chamber. I think I could have used this $35 unit instead of paying $100 for the Ranco. I was looking for a more affordable heating solution on Amazon and came across this $35 temperature controlled outlet. It's got a digital readout and setpoint. The thermostat cable seems short, but if I put it inside the chamber then that's not a problem.

I hate it when I feel like I've wasted my money!

31w88shCk0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It gets almost all 5-star reviews. Anyone tried one yet?

I'm sort-of hoping someone will tell me "That will never work because..."

But I'm also hoping it's a good solution so that brewers looking for fermentaton control in the future can take advantage of it.

I have this in my fermenting fridge, It supports up to 16A output. It is heating and cooling. Only PITA is it's programmable for different times each day. Nice if controling a house, a big PITA if wanting to adjust the temp because you have to adjust it for 3 time periods 6 times (5 weekdays and weekend), so you're setting the temp 18 times.

And the Probe is SUPER SHORT. But could possibly be replaced, I haven't tried. Held temps right at 65 the one time I've used it though.
I bought it at Menards for $30-$35

Actually I have one for my fermentation chamber. Set it to hold so you don't have to set times/days. The lower temp is around 40 I think. I remember its good for fermentation chamber but not for a kegerator.

Do you know the temperature range this little guy supports?

According to Amazon:
# Setting range 45-degrees F to 90-degrees F

If you want cheap control down to lower temps, (I like 38 degrees F for my kegerator, but just saw you were looking for a ferm chamber, so this point may be moot), and don't mind an analog controller, (honestly, does it matter? once it's set, you never touch it again), go with this:
http://www.chicompany.net/freezer-c...3.html?zenid=8f527fc08cab345af4e3b082809f49d9

Did you pay $65 for the Ranco or $100 for it? Either way, you won't go wrong with the Ranco and I personally feel like they are not a waste of money.

The $35 controller might work fine, but you might also run into some issues having a controller with all of the electronics inside a potential high humidity environment.

Looks like the people who are using them are getting along just fine, but the Ranco is still a good product even if you paid a bit more.

I paid $100 at my LHBS (single stage, wired.) I might could have gotten it cheaper, but I do what I can to support those guys when they stock the stuff I want. I'd rather have gotten a dual-stage, but they don't carry them.

Back