Abita Purple? Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle of Abita purple haze, poured it into a glass, and noticed something was a bit off. It looked like a regular american wheat beer. Apparently, they forgot to add the raspberry puree. There was no raspberry color or flavor or anything...just refreshing American wheat. Can someone please verify that Abita Purple Haze should have a purplish, hazy color to it. I have nothing to compare it to as I've never had one before.

Yeah, it is slightly purple in color. Easier to notice it in the flavor/aroma though.

I called Abita Brewing Co, last week and told them what I had come across. One of their quality control managers called me back yesterday to get some more details. I told her that I didn't call to complain or anything like that(the wheat beer by itself was quite good). I explained to her that I am a homebrewer, and that I take great pride in the finished product that I produce, and that I called because I thought they should know about their error. She couldn't thank me enough for catching the mistake, and that she was going to speak with the brewmaster as soon as she hung up with me. She then asked me for my address, and told me she was going to send me a sixer of Purple Haze in the mail. Guess I'll get to try it after all.

purple haze is not purple. if you didn't taste the raspberry, it was probably old. when you add fruit and s==t to your beer , the taste fades over time.

Back