New Dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butchv12

Reaction score
It's about a month or so before the new dispenser is built -- the old one came out great but didn't work --- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-man-cave-adult-beverage-dispenser-282464/

I received a new chest freezer from my bride yesterday as a Christmas gift. --Sears Kenmore Elite = 19.7 cu. ft. Chest Freezer -- I'm not so sure I want to do another football field as the top of the old one will be hanging on the wall in the "brewery"

Got any ideas what you would do if time and/or patience wasn't a problem?

Okay, after reading your last build... very impressive, the only improvement I can think of is having GREEN BAY on it... However, it looked great.

That illusion stuff would be crazy if it was beer related, like half the keezer ripped open with the kegs and lines showing...

I will be watching for updates on your new project. Best of luck.

I think it would be amazing if you could do an optical illusion similar to this chalk art:

The only problem with the sidewalk art is that you only see the imagine from one side at a particular angle. The new dispenser will be a focal point in the brewery and be seen from all angles.

I'm still kinda leaning towards the direction of a NFL theme, but I also think a Jimmy Buffett / Tiki Bar / Beach theme would look awesome. Even though I'm in the Texas area I'm showing my South Florida youth!

I pick up the new freezer next weekend and dismantle the old one today -

Sure wish I didn't live 2 hours from the nearest Brewing Club....... Local help/drinking buddies would be great ---- I live among bud/miller/coors people and they have a REAL HARD TIME drinking beer that has any flavor....

image-473165302.jpg

image-93207314.jpg

I read the original. Sad to read the final results but great work and the car looks great too. Good luck - subscribed.

Freezer is at Sears waiting for me to pick it up Sunday --- Old one is dismantled and hoses/taps are boxed up for now --- old lid is mounted on the rafters in the cave/brewery and a picture will be taken when this project starts here in the next 10 days or so. I measured the old one vs the new one and it looks like the casters/frame will work --- I have a sheet of plywood which will be cut down so you & friends will not be able to tell it's not a perfect match - I am excited to get this going ---- I'm also going to start brewing 10 gallon batches instead of the 5+ that I have been making over the last 20 years or so. The only real unknown is what the theme is going to be, Deb wants me to do another football field and I might - but I am thinking of a way to make it easier and still have the same result. I am racking my brain trying to figure out a way to display all 32 current teams ---- maybe I'll do a Dolphin/Cowboy top and find the other 30 teams vinyl and go that way....... Stay tuned!

Quick update:

Freezer was a no show @ Sears and new one expected on or around the 13th - ( what --- do they have to build me one? )

Anyway.... spent Saturday afternoon beefing up the old platform and bought new casters - the original set were a soft tire and had flat spots on them. I can only imagine what would of happened if I was ever to fill it with 5 or 6 kegs and my grains! I ended up purchasing 4 steel casters from Tractor Supply and will probably get those mounted this weekend as I have another week or so to wait for the new freezer.

I'm thinking about keeping with the football theme right now and putting both Cowboys Stadium - and Sun Life ( Joe Robbie --- Dolphins -- Dolphin -- Pro Players -- Land Shark --- Stadium ) on the lid somehow with maybe some cheerleaders too. This time I am going to frame the top ( probably with quarter round ) so that the epoxy doesn't run down the edges and create the mess I had last time.

I'll get some pictures posted soon

Freezer platform completed --- Pictures attached are of: The mess I created this week, new and improved casters, old lid mounted on rafters ( who would of guessed how good hinges work as rafter mounts ) both refrigerators - white one is my current dispenser with ice maker - the black one is the fermenter.

Sears is now saying maybe the 20th, but I'll be at

http://communitybeer.eventbrite.com for their grand opening!

DSC_0960.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC_0971.JPG

You sitting down?

Sears sent an e-mail yesterday cancelling the freezer order a month after it was paid for. Deb was wanting to see if a Sears in the area had one and go from there. I asked her to go back on line and find something different and not from Sears, but something in the same size because the base has already been built. She managed to find a Frigidaire that was the same size and AJ Madison matched the price and included delivery --- promised date is either February 1st or 4th. Who-ever would of guessed it would take 2 months to get a freezer?

Stay tuned.....

Why I wait for Friday/Monday to arrive and have my project going .....

Got a letter from Sears this past Monday --- It was all of the info including extended warranty paperwork for the freezer they think they sent. I found out that as long as a supplier has a ship date, they CAN charge your credit card with the purchase even though you don't have it yet. That is why Sears kept changing the delivery date - kind of sneaky but completely legal.

Next update will be pictures of the new "appliance"

ButchV12

Last night 2/4/2013 - was supposed to be the delivery date since it didn't come on the 1st. I get home from work and ask, " what happened?" Deb said no calls or emails from AJ Madison so we go on-line to check the order. Remember we are also getting a washer and dryer so we are looking at a 3500.00 appliance order!

According to the web site - our order is now scheduled for delivery on 2/22/2013 --- we are wondering if they are playing the same game as Sears! Deb is going to call today and actually talk to a human so we can find out WTF is going on.....

Wish I had pictures of my build going on..... cause I sure have the brewed product for it.

ButchV12

Guess what showed up Friday night? Looks like my newest project gets started this weekend! I do not have a theme as of yet, but I am going to do the woodwork and come up with something later. I have about 20 gallons in the "pipeline" and I need this to be working....

More pictures coming soon.....

ButchV12

DSC_1045.JPG

DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

So..... what is step one of a dispenser build? Void the warranty - of course!

Yesterday..... Remove the lid light wiring from the compressor area, remove top, manufacture the collar and test fit....

So far so good --- hoping to finish the collar today and get it secured to the top.

Yesterday picked up the project box, lights and outlet necessary for the temp controller --- I have the old Johnson analog I could use, but it wouldn't look as cool!

ButchV12

DSC_1071.jpg

DSC_1075.jpg

DSC_1076.jpg

DSC_1078.jpg

DSC_1080.jpg

Sunday in the brewery....

Build the temp controller and fasten the collar on the freezer. Sounds so simple but took me most of the afternoon. I added some operating lights to make it look sharp. Test run checked out fine..... Tomorrow hope to mount cedar, hinges and temp control box.

ButchV12

DSC_1081.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1090.jpg

DSC_1093.jpg

DSC_1091.jpg

Monday was a good day --- pictures follow:

Hinges mounted in new location --- cedar drip tray mount glued and clamped - Front of temp controller - rear of controller ---- collection of tap handles and the display unit Deb had made for me

ButchV12

DSC_1094.jpg

DSC_1095.jpg

DSC_1097.jpg

DSC_1098.jpg

DSC_1099.jpg

Lookin' good Butch!!!

I appreciate that ---- quick update ---- cedar board which was installed for the drip tray fell off the next afternoon and the liquid nails was still wet. I think the brewery was too cold, so I did my best to get that mess cleaned up. I did manage to get the 4 taps drilled into the top and the shanks mounted.

This weekend S/S/M <-- for me, will see another try at mounting the drip tray board and mount the cedar on the base so the freezer doesn't slide around when we move it. I should also be able to mount the CO2 tank and all of the plumbing.

As always pictures will be posted ----

ButchV12

Picture time!

Today I'll get the lower cedar mounted and stained, install the CO2 bottle and hook up hose.... Not much else to do before I come up with a theme for this - I'm going to remove the lower dividers as there is just not a good spacing for these when storing pin lock kegs and buckets of grain

DSC_1108.jpg

DSC_1109.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg

DSC_1111.jpg

DSC_1112.jpg

In the past week the dispenser was finished --- lower cedar trim installed and everything stained. All hoses hooked up and 3 kegs plus grain, glasses, and my bottled beer placed inside. I set the temp for 4.0 with a margin of +/- 2.0 so the compressor doesn't cycle much. All my equipment reads in C. so the temps are set at 39.2F with the compressor coming on at 42.8F and shutting off at 35.6F. Being that it is an unheated garage with outside temps in the 50's/60's it might come on two or three times a day, unless I open the lid. Chest freezers are made to keep food cold very well, but when you open the lid it pulls a lot of the cold air with it.

Anyway --- we ( Deb & me ) decided that we are going to do the top with beer coasters and get little magnets so we can do the lower portion with bottle caps from different breweries. I may also get some carpet tape ( double sided ) and attach more coasters around the lower portion. We have not decided whether to paint the top yet, but once we lay out the coasters we will know.

I have 90 coasters coming from eBay in the next week or so - after we get the layout done I will post pictures and steps taken to complete the lid like I did with the other one. The enviro-tex I used yellowed badly so I will not be using that product again.

Cheers!

Here is what I came up with for the outside ---

I think I am going to do the top with the new Dolphins logo and not use any clear coating over it. Being so wide, it flexes a bit and I think any kind of coating will crack and look bad after a short time.

Next update will be after the vinyl is applied to the top.

The glass is a lager I have on tap!

Cheers!

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Done, finished, no more tinkering ( well, maybe a little )

Not sure I would change anything

Cheers! :mug:

DSC_1116.jpg

DSC_1118.jpg

Looks sweet. So the drip tray board is just glues to the front of the fridge? What adhesive did you use?

Speaking of drip trays, what size is that? I'm 'designing' my build now and am mulling over the drip tray options. I'll have 4 taps going in as well. How far apart are yours?

Looks sweet. So the drip tray board is just glues to the front of the fridge? What adhesive did you use?

Speaking of drip trays, what size is that? I'm 'designing' my build now and am mulling over the drip tray options. I'll have 4 taps going in as well. How far apart are yours?

Liquid Nails didn't work because it was too cold - I ended up using RTV and it work great.

DSC_1135.jpg

DSC_1136.jpg

Back