citric acid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey i made some hard cider.. but the cider i got was just sweet and had no snappy/tartness u get from apples and i want to add some citric acid to cider.. the fermenters have about 6.5 gallons in each.. Now how much shoudl i throw in ?

Season to taste? Your cider might have been too sweet because there was too much sugar or the yeast wasn't able to eat it all. You may get more useful advice if you post the recipe and process. Cheers

i did not taste a finshed product.. i had extra cider left over that did not go into the fermenters and i drank a glass and found it to sweet with snappyness or tartness you normaly get in cider.. but anyways i did a little messing around with a gallon of reg cider i had left over and found a 1/4 tespoon gave it the right amount per a gallon.. so i just added 1.5 tespoons per a carboy

You drank an unfermented sample? I'm no cider expert but I would think that it would of course be sweet, as all the sugar is still there.

Cider will ferment out completely dry since it is primarily simple sugar. I would put off any acid additions until after fermentation is complete. Dry cider should have no residual sweetness. You can't judge the finished ciders acidity very well by sampling the unfermented apple juice.

Back