SWMBO asked for this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
LOL.....I had a very similar conversation with a coworker regarding a Kitchen Aid today. If she wants it and you have the coin, I say go for it. Of course you're still on the hook for something thoughtful and personal. ;)

I'm getting mine a remote starter for her car.

SwAMi75 said:
LOL.....I had a very similar conversation with a coworker regarding a Kitchen Aid today. If she wants it and you have the coin, I say go for it. Of course you're still on the hook for something thoughtful and personal. ;)

I'm getting mine a remote starter for her car.

Yeah, something else she asked for, a gift card at Ulta for a facial. I figure I'll get her that too. For the price of those mixers though, I can't afford jewelry too. ;)

Yeah. but you're off the hook for the KitchenAid. One time layout of cash and you're set for life. That's a helluva mixer. Totally functional, and they really look cool in the kitchen. :rockin:

Ize

Dude said:
Yeah, something else she asked for, a gift card at Ulta for a facial. I figure I'll get her that too. For the price of those mixers though, I can't afford jewelry too. ;)

Bath and Body works has some good coupons out. :D

SwAMi75 said:
Bath and Body works has some good coupons out. :D

OMG no. If I have to see one more bottle of Bath and Body works body soap stuffed into my tub/shower, I'll scream. Why is it a rule that a woman has to have 16 different bottles in the shower? :confused:

Dude said:
OMG no. If I have to see one more bottle of Bath and Body works body soap stuffed into my tub/shower, I'll scream. Why is it a rule that a woman has to have 16 different bottles in the shower? :confused:

Holy crap. That's a whole different thread brother..... :drunk: :D

Ize

I like the lift-arm version of the KitchenAid mixer better than the Artisan line, but they are all great mixers. Like this one. It's only a few bucks more. With any KitchenAid mixer, you'll probably never have to buy another one.

beer4breakfast said:
I like the lift-arm version of the KitchenAid mixer better than the Artisan line, but they are all great mixers. Like this one. It's only a few bucks more. With any KitchenAid mixer, you'll probably never have to buy another one.
I got my wife one like that a few years ago for Christmas. (It's what she wanted) She absolutely loves the thing.

Those things are sweet. I used to sell them. You can get attachments to do anything. Id say get it (I dont sell them anymore).

I told my SWMBO that I wanted blowjobs for christmas. She said, "What??!!! You aren't getting enough already? Well we'll just have to fix that before Christmas comes around..."

So yeah... I'm buying her jewelry.

It's kind of a weird/sad story though. Her uncle bought her a set of earrings one year for Christmas. And then, one day a few years later, she lost one of them. The next day, her uncle died.

So I managed to find an EXACT replacement. I'm pretty excited. A few months ago, I told her that I wanted to get her a replacement for Christmas. Then I said, "But they are kind of old and not made anymore and I realized just how impossible it is to find a copy of an old earring if you don't even have all the details about it, so I guess I'll just never be able to do that.. but I tried because I thought it would be a sweet gift..."

She was so touched by my attempt, that she was all gushy for the better part of a week, feeling so happy that I *tried* to replace it. Little does she know that a few weeks later, I actually stumbled across the exact same earring. I even snuck into her bedroom when she was gone one day and dug out the earring to make sure it was an identical match. And it was! I'm pretty excited...

I think I'm going to put the earring into a bottle of beer and cap it as part of a mixed six-pack, and hand it to her for Christmas. Yup.. give her a six pack for Christmas. LOL. One bottle will just happen to have a very special earring in it. She might shoot me for getting her a six-pack, but if I survive, we'll laugh about it later...

Don't be fooled. The Kitchen Aid is for cooking desserts. My wife asked for one as a Christmas gift (I got it for her), and she uses it all the time--for cookies! She's not fat or anything, so I don't mind. I guess my point is, it will be like a hobby for her, so don't worry about it being something to help her with her "chores". It would be equivalent, I would say, to your wife getting you a new brewpot, wort chiller, etc. etc.

Toot, good find. Hope she likes the beer enough to make it through all six bottles. Just make sure she pours it into a glass first, huh? That REALLY would be a cursed pair of earrings if she were unfortunate enough to choke on them.
;)

desiderata said:
Don't be fooled. The Kitchen Aid is for cooking desserts. My wife asked for one as a Christmas gift (I got it for her), and she uses it all the time--for cookies! She's not fat or anything, so I don't mind. I guess my point is, it will be like a hobby for her, so don't worry about it being something to help her with her "chores". It would be equivalent, I would say, to your wife getting you a new brewpot, wort chiller, etc. etc.

The Kitchen Aid is a great present. It's so NOT like an ironing board or vacuum. I think the brewpot analogy is a good one. It's not a "housewife" gift, it's a hobby gift. No woman would ever spent $250 on a mixer for herself. No way. But a gift of a Kitchen Aid for her is like you getting a stainless brewpot for a gift- that rocks.

Lorena

lorenae said:
The Kitchen Aid is a great present. It's so NOT like an ironing board or vacuum. I think the brewpot analogy is a good one. It's not a "housewife" gift, it's a hobby gift. No woman would ever spent $250 on a mixer for herself. No way. But a gift of a Kitchen Aid for her is like you getting a stainless brewpot for a gift- that rocks.

Lorena

But what if it's an uber-nice, $400 Dyson that SWMBO has been begging for becuase of her allergies? Trust me, she doesn't beg for much...

Actually, I'll probably find her something else relatively small, some jewelry or something, since I bought the vacuum a month or so ago and she's been using it. I told her specifically that all I wanted for x-mas was for her not to complain about the money I've been spending on AG gear, so there won't be a lot of presents exchanged between us this year.

Oh, and I also asked for a BJ, but I ask for one of those at EVERY special occassion... :D

I say get it for her. Years ago my wife asked for an iron. I didn't like the idea either, but it's what she asked for, so that's what she got:D

It's totally worth it and a good gift. Ours gets probably bi-weekly action in our kitchen.

The Dyson is great, too, but I'm not convinced that's a Christmas gift. More of a Valentine's Day gift....:D

We bought a refurb for $275 and it works great.

lorenae said:
No woman would ever spent $250 on a mixer for herself. No way.

I'm here to tell you that you are absolutely incorrect. In-co-rect. :cross:

Ours gets used all the time too, but there was no way I could have gotten it for her for Christmas. Every time one of my friend's bough one for their SWMBOs, mine would to never get her one for a gift. I think if I gave her a vacuum I'd be murdered.

the_bird said:
But what if it's an uber-nice, $400 Dyson that SWMBO has been begging for becuase of her allergies? Trust me, she doesn't beg for much...

Those Dyson's SUCK!....and Suck and suck. I got SWMBO one of those a couple years ago (just paid it off, thanks to Best Buy's 18 months, no interest).

It's the best vacume we've ever bought. Highly recommended.

EdWort said:
Those Dyson's SUCK!....and Suck and suck. I got SWMBO one of those a couple years ago (just paid it off, thanks to Best Buy's 18 months, no interest).

It's the best vacume we've ever bought. Highly recommended.

I know they're awesome. But they're not a gift- they are a "household" purchase. Vacuums are in a whole different category than kitchen aids. I can't think of a good analogy for you guys- the stainless steel brewpot (for the guys) is a good comparison to a kitchen aid. But a vacuum (even a Dyson) is a ......well, vacuum. Like a washing machine or any other large household appliance. The only appliance that qualifies as a good gift is a dishwasher but only if brand new and not replacing an older one. Like, putting one in for the first time. That's a BJ worthy gift. After that, it's relegated back to an appliance. Appliances should never be given as a gift to a woman from a man that would like to have sex again in this lifetime.

If you were a woman, you'd understand what I mean. Or what I'm trying to mean. Or what I think I mean.

Lorena

lorenae said:
I know they're awesome. But they're not a gift- they are a "household" purchase. Vacuums are in a whole different category than kitchen aids. I can't think of a good analogy for you guys- the stainless steel brewpot (for the guys) is a good comparison to a kitchen aid. But a vacuum (even a Dyson) is a ......well, vacuum. Like a washing machine or any other large household appliance. The only appliance that qualifies as a good gift is a dishwasher but only if brand new and not replacing an older one. Like, putting one in for the first time. That's a BJ worthy gift. After that, it's relegated back to an appliance. Appliances should never be given as a gift to a woman from a man that would like to have sex again in this lifetime.

If you were a woman, you'd understand what I mean. Or what I'm trying to mean. Or what I think I mean.

Lorena

I'm blaming you if SWMBO is pissed. :)

I'm buying it. :D

Doesn't it suck that guys are happier with anything that plugs in, has a motor or uses gas but is taboo for a female gift. Makes buying for us easy, them hard :(.

My wife asked for a vacumm and other stuff. We need one and I'm going to get a vac but call it from santa for both of us and get her other "girlie" things. That's the only way I wouldn't get that look and we all know "that look".

Now she better get me that new gas chain saw I've been asking for otherwise I'm going to have "that look". :D

Now off to www.victoriasecret.com I need to watch that video of the fashion show (and buy some stuff)

The Dyson was absolutely not my idea, that's the thing. I'm the king of jewelry purchases, I don't mean to brag, but I have esquisite taste that happens to mesh very well with SWMBO's.

As to the dishwasher - I had one put in (not a replacement) a couple years ago, and I don't think I ever got *paid* for that... :D

This is the cooking equivalent of a Therminator. The next step is pro equipment.

And yes, she asked for it, she has to be happy with it. That's the deal.

SWMBO just told me she wants a new cordless phone with a couple satellite units for all the rooms in the house. That's not a "gift" either, but she's getting it. I think I'm throwing in a remote starter for her car, too, though.:) Now I just need to tell her what I want. Hmmmmmmm Beer gun, maybe??? She'd just roll her eyes and get me something else.:cross:

ablrbrau said:
Now I just need to tell her what I want. Hmmmmmmm Beer gun, maybe??? She'd just roll her eyes and get me something else.:cross:

Hmf, you get that too eh? Only beer related thing I had on my list was the Designing Great Beers book. I probably won't get that either. Lucky I have most gadgets I need for beer already!
:rockin:

Dude said:

Dude,

Save yourself some money and give her a facial yourself... oh.. you mean at like a spa.. sorry for the mixup... :D

lorenae said:

Lorena

I see the distinction there, Lorena. Baking is a hobby (for some women), cooking or vaccuming is a chore.

I was very close to getting my gf a set of cast-iron skillets for Christmas, but since I got the entire set for $6, I didn't it would be a wise idea, so I gave them to her as a random thing... sort of in lieu of flowers that week, I guess. It was a nice gift though because she HATES doing dishes and cast iron is the simplest thing to wash/clean, so it sort of almost eliminates that chore. But still, by itself, that would not have been a good gift. I see that.

It's the difference betwen a guy getting floor jacks for the garage (which would be an ok gift, but really nothing all that great), versus getting a hydraulic lift for the garage. Although they both result in the man doing more work, one is sort of a shop necessity, the other one is the kind of thing that most men only dream of...

lorenae said:

Lorena

Oddly enough, my wife went shopping with my sister the day after T'giving. She came home and told me that I was buying her a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas, and that it was out in the car.

I would have bought her one years ago, except that I'm the main cook in our family (my wife does bake a little), so it always seemed more like a present for me. (Kindof like giving her lingerie for Christmas...)

I know I should be relieved that I don't have to shop and that she's getting something she really likes, but it does piss me off a little--I genuinely enjoy shopping for gifts for here at Christmas and Birthday. We're supposed to be going easy on Christmas this year to save for our trip to Italy this summer, so the budget is already way blown with the Kitchen Aid purchase.

I think this is great, the only thing I asked swmbo for is a good chef knife. I'm getting the global g2. I don't see the problem with things like this, I want it and would not normally drop the money on it for myself.

Those kitchen-Aid mixers are bullet-proof. We have the small one and my wife just got the bigger 5 quart bowl. It's the best mixer out there, hands down. Buy it now and assuming you don't open a bakery, you'll never need another one.

Here's how I look at appliance type gifts. If you're thinking of getting it for her because of a conversation that went like this:

You: Why the F don't you cook me dinner more often?
SWMBO: Well if I had a decent mixer, maybe I would!

I would say it's probably not the best gift. If she's really into baking and literally came up with the idea herself, yes, that plus a non solicited personal gift would be great.

Bobby_M said:
Here's how I look at appliance type gifts. If you're thinking of getting it for her because of a conversation that went like this:

You: Why the F don't you cook me dinner more often?
SWMBO: Well if I had a decent mixer, maybe I would!

I would say it's probably not the best gift. If she's really into baking and literally came up with the idea herself, yes, that plus a non solicited personal gift would be great.

No, she asked for it. :) I like cooking too much to ever say that. She is the "baker" in the family though.

I went ahead and bought it--in the ugliest color I could find, LOL. Surf Green. She's gonna freak. :D

ksm150pssu-largeview.jpg

Dude said:
No, she asked for it. :) I like cooking too much to ever say that. She is the "baker" in the family though.

I went ahead and bought it--in the ugliest color I could find, LOL. Surf Green. She's gonna freak. :D

ksm150pssu-largeview.jpg

I LOVE the color- that's so awesome. I'm jealous- that's a great Christmas gift. I think I'm getting sheepskin lined clogs (shoes) to be warmer while I'm standing in hockey rinks watching my teens. I did ask for those, and they are incredibly expensive (at least compared to the thrift stores where I usually shop). But that color makes me drool!

Lorena

Well, SWMBO was pretty excited to get this. I gave it to her early because we had a Christmas party last night and I wanted her to make her famous pumpkin cheesecake, so I figured then was as good of a time as any to let her open it and use it. She was glowing!

Amazon didn't have that seafoam color BTW, so I ended up going the safe route and got chrome. She said she would have picked that one anyway! I scored! Thanks for all your help, peeps.

Tomorrow she gets the girly gift though. Can't wait to see her face when she sees that!

Back