Pumpkin Porter Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sertainment

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am making a pumpkin porter today and wanted to post my recipe before I get started for the day (not brewing for a few more hours) and wanted to get opinions in case I am missing something here.

So far I have...

- Grain -
12 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. Roasted Barley
1 lb. Crystal 80
8 oz. Black Patent

- Hops -
1 oz. Mt. Hood
1 oz. Fuggles

- Yeast -
WY 1335 British Ale

- Misc. -
1 lb. Brown Sugar
.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
3 lbs. Canned pumpkin (continual addition during mash and boil

While I've never made a pumpkin porter, your recipe looks good. I was going to use Roasted Barley in a recipe I recently put together, and I was warned to not overdo it. Maybe a 1/2 lb. of Roasted Barley would make it a little less astringent. On the other hand, what the hell do I know? Brew that **** up and try not to drink all the wart!

Happy Brewing!

Maybe a little chocolate malt to go along with the pumpkin would be nice to if you have it.

Maybe a little chocolate malt to go along with the pumpkin would be nice to if you have it.

agreed, otherwise looks good. I usually do a Pumpkin Porter this time of year and I bake the halved pumpkin and add it to the mash (with rice hulls) and add spices to the boil.

I brewed one today that looked like

10 lbs 2 row
.5 Black Barley
.5 Chocolate
.5 Crystal 80

2 oz Liberty

2 29oz cans of Pumpkin
2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 oz grated ginger root

Nottingham Dry yeast

Back