Ginger With Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiredpanic

Reaction score
So I'm nearing the end of my Primary and was thinking ginger might be a nice flavor to add to spice things up. This is my first brew and I've used 5 gallons store bought juice, s-04 yeast, added 2 pounds dextrose at the beginning, used pectin and yeast nutrient if that gives any insight as to how my processesmight affect flavor.

Essentially has anyone tried using fresh ginger root? I've seen the idea thrown around but no one ever posts results.

As always any insight is a plus, because I have looked through many threads here and elsewhere for an answer.

We make ginger wine from the fresh root. I think it should go very well with your cider as long as you dont add very much and overpower the apple, you might be thinking about just 2 or 3 ounces for the whole batch, just a small touch of ginger heat in the back of the cider taste. It would be very easy to add to much to a cider and turn it into a ginger wine made with apple cider as the base. WVMJ

Are you going to rack to secondary and add the ginger? (assuming you're going to use it) If you do, post some results. I just started primary and I was thinking about doing some ginger too.

My goal is to bottle about 3 gallons and throw the other 2 into secondary with the ginger and a little extra sugar to allow for a little more fermentation and let the ginger soak in. This way I don't potentially make 5 gallons of a strong ginger wine as described byWVMJ.

Did you ever pull this off? I was wondering how much fresh ginger you added to the 2 gallons and how it came out?

I meant to do an update since no one ever followed through with this. But it turned out spectacular. Ill have a more detailed report soon since i also did a similar process with raspberry. Its tough to give an exact amount, but when i used a piece of ginger about the size of my hand, whixh is pretty relative. Id say after skinning and cutting around a cup. But strong for some, but me and some buddies really enjoyed it

I'm also very interested to read more details. I'm looking to make a ginger beer this weekend and am amassing all the info I can get since there isint a while lot out there. Especially if you stray from the norm and start adding it to ciders and what not.

I've made a nice ginger cider, which I boiled about 2oz, or so, in a pot with some brown sugar and water. Made a nice soup and then added it in to my primary. Threw in a gallon of apple juice. Pitched the yeast. Let it sit for about a month, and it came out with a bit of heat and a very nice flavor. Still have a couple bottles left of it.

Back