American Brown Ale BBD Brown Biscuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentation activity was going strong the next morning and was done in about 2 days. I haven't taken a FG reading yet, but I'm wondering how long to keep this in primary. Fermentation temps have been between 65 and 68F. I'll probably let it stay on the warm side as some sort of ale-based diacetyl rest (??). I see you primaried for 21 days and secondaried for 7. I've never primaried for that long (usually between 7 and 14 days depending on the beer), but I'll follow your method. Can you give me some reasons why you chose such a long primary?

Thanks!

Gives the yeast plenty of time to reabsorb some of their byproducts, plus I've found that bulk aging like that tends to give me good beer faster than aging in the bottles.

This has been a hit with any beer lover I've given it to. I'm almost done with my keg, and I'm already considering bumping my list of things I want to try down a notch so I can get 5 more gallons of this prepared. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

I've made this twice as an all-grain recipe, which I converted as follows:

6.00 lb 2-Row Pale Malt 48%
3.00 lb Munich Malt 24%
1.00 lb Crystal Malt 60L 8%
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8%
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4%
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4%
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
Total Grain 12#
Mash at 152 to 154 for 60 minutes.

For yeast, I've used S-04 and Wyeast 2450 (Denny's), and I think I prefer Dennys. YMMV.

Cheers!

I was wondering how the adjustments turned out?

Flavor was good, but the color was a little light. Not quite ready.

I've made this twice as an all-grain recipe, which I converted as follows:

6.00 lb 2-Row Pale Malt 48%
3.00 lb Munich Malt 24%
1.00 lb Crystal Malt 60L 8%
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8%
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4%
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4%
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
Total Grain 12#
Mash at 152 to 154 for 60 minutes.

For yeast, I've used S-04 and Wyeast 2450 (Denny's), and I think I prefer Dennys. YMMV.

Cheers!

If someone can compare this with the original and if it's about the same, I'll copy your recipe to the main page as an all-grain version and give you props for it.

If someone can compare this with the original and if it's about the same, I'll copy your recipe to the main page as an all-grain version and give you props for it.
No man, don't be giving me no props, it's your recipe. I made some wild-a$$ guesses about amber extract, that's all.

:mug:

ETA: Hey, now I'm curious. Next time I brew this (I'm out right now, due to problems with having made a popular beer), I'll send you a few bottles. I'd like to find out how it compares.

Hey All,

I just brewed this and its awesome. But I'm gonna try a slightly modified version but I think I may be overcomplicating the recipe a bit

Here's what I was thinking

4.4 lbs light lme

1.1lbs dark lme
0.5 lbs crystal 80L
0.5 lbs munich 80L
-----I added these to compensate for not having amber lme

0.5 lbs carapils
1 lbs special B
0.5 biscuit mal
0.5 pale 6 row

-------------------------
Think this is a good idea? Any opinions?

Quick question - how long would it take for this beer to be fully ready and not green? My sister has just requested a beer for her post-wedding picnic, giving me just over 6 weeks' time. I know some browns can still be a little green at that point; is this one of those, or would I be OK if I kegged it around 4 weeks and carbed for 2 or 2.5?

jLp0xl.jpg

Terrible image, but I'm loving this brew

-------------------------
Think this is a good idea? Any opinions?

Looks good to me. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Quick question - how long would it take for this beer to be fully ready and not green? My sister has just requested a beer for her post-wedding picnic, giving me just over 6 weeks' time. I know some browns can still be a little green at that point; is this one of those, or would I be OK if I kegged it around 4 weeks and carbed for 2 or 2.5?

I think you'll be cutting it too close. Prolly end up with green beer. I like to run this for 3-4 weeks before bottling, and then it usually takes another 3-4 weeks before it really starts to come into it's own. I'd go with something like a Hef rather than this if you want quick turn around.

jLp0xl.jpg

Terrible image, but I'm loving this brew

Cheers! :mug:

This beer is amazing. Get's better with time as the recipe states. I am brewing another 10 gallons as we speak!!! My 2 gallons that were in my rum barrel is amazing....a little strong with rum but will mellow out in time. I'm hording that batch myself!!!

Shoot - I brewed this up Saturday... Good brew day, with the exception of a minor mistake (it was my first partial-mash, after all!). So, either I'll have this as a possibly green beer, or I'll have to brew up something that'd be ready even quicker this coming weekend. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

I've been asked to brew a brown ale (along with a hefe) for a wedding in early September. This sounds like a great recipe to try. However I'm going through some ingredients I already have on-hand, and one thing I have is 6lbs of NB Gold LME. Based on the AG recipe I was wondering if this PM version would work if I used the light LME instead of the Amber.

Fermentables
6lbs NB Gold LME
1.5lbs Munich Malt
1lb Special B
.5lb Caramel 60L
.5lb Biscuit

Hops
.75oz Willamette @ 60min
.75oz Willamette @ 15 min

Yeast
S-04

OG: 1.060
SRM: 23

Will this work, or should I just buy some Amber LME?

Well, as a follow-up to my earlier posts here:

I brewed the original, partial mash recipe from the very first post in this chain about 5 weeks ago, with the intent to serve it up this coming weekend. It's been in the keg and under pressure for about 2 weeks now - tried out a small sample this past weekend, and it's awesome!!! Definitely still a tiny bit green on the finish - but SWMBO and I are the only ones likely to pick up on that, assuming the extra week or so in the keg doesn't serve to age the green right out.

So ChshreCat, thanks a ton for the recipe!

I've been asked to brew a brown ale (along with a hefe) for a wedding in early September. This sounds like a great recipe to try. However I'm going through some ingredients I already have on-hand, and one thing I have is 6lbs of NB Gold LME. Based on the AG recipe I was wondering if this PM version would work if I used the light LME instead of the Amber.

Fermentables
6lbs NB Gold LME
1.5lbs Munich Malt
1lb Special B
.5lb Caramel 60L
.5lb Biscuit

Hops
.75oz Willamette @ 60min
.75oz Willamette @ 15 min

Yeast
S-04

OG: 1.060
SRM: 23

Will this work, or should I just buy some Amber LME?

Looks worth a shot if you wanna use up what you have. Sup to you!

I wonder if the all grain version of this recipe would lend itself well to a decoction mash. May be worth a shot.

I brewed this on the 19th, just moved to secondary.

This is my first beer ever. I've done a few ciders before and felt I had the equipment/knowledge to try a partial mash as my first beer.

OG: 1.056

I took a hydrometer reading when I moved to secondary, came up at 1.013

The wort smelled amazing while boiling. I moved this to secondary after 9 days, smelled and tasted great at that time too. I'm a huge fan of brown ale and this recipe and all the great feedback convinced me to give it a shot. So far everything's coming up Milhouse!

I can't wait to bottle and taste. Will report back after bottles age for a bit. Thanks for the recipe!

Chshre, you mention in the thread that you like to keep this in primary for a long while.. Do you think I'll experience any negative effects moving to secondary after only 9 days? I plan to leave it there for 2-3 weeks. It's currently sitting at a stable 68-70° f.

Also wanted to ask anyone who's brewed this - Has anyone added anything during secondary? I thought coffee beans might be nice, or something else for a nice depth of flavor. Any suggestions? Obviously I'm keeping it straight and simple for the first batch, but would love some input for future reference.

I had a pint of mine yesterday - and I think this one's just peaked!

I'm definitely considering doing this one again, either with coffee in the secondary or maybe a little roasted barley in the grist - something to add just a bit of a roasty note to the brew (something along the lines of Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog).

This is my first beer ever.

Was my first one too!

Chshre, you mention in the thread that you like to keep this in primary for a long while.. Do you think I'll experience any negative effects moving to secondary after only 9 days? I plan to leave it there for 2-3 weeks. It's currently sitting at a stable 68-70° f.

The main thing that can happen is a stuck/sluggish ferment if the SG wasn't stable before you transferred it. I keep all my beers in primary for about 3 weeks. Nothing wrong with a secondary though, so long as it's done fermenting before you transfer.

Hey Chshr, at last month's DBU* I talked to one of the brewers about how much I missed the Buzzsaw. The one clue he gave me was that the acidulated malt was really important for this brew.

*Deschutes Brewery University...or a once a month class on different brewing topics held at the Mountain Room of the brewery. If you're ever in Bend for the first Tuesday of the month, they're a lot of fun, and there's some great info.

GroovePuppy said:
Been drinking a keg of this for a few weeks now and it's a delicious Brown Ale. Not a real dark color and a hint of coppery red. Very malty to the nose and a smooth drink, hops nicely set in the background as they should be. Any alleged pluminess from the big chunk of Special B is certainly not super dominant. I used 1056 to keep the flavor cleaner.

This will be my "go to" Brown Ale recipe from now on. :mug:

I just brewed this up over the weekend. Added a little extra to the grain bill to accommodate for my 65% efficiency and it turned out great. Hit all my numbers spot on and only had one issue. This was the first time I used o2 and aeration stone to kick-start fermentation and I set the regulator to 1lpm and went outside to clean up for a few minutes, when I cam back in, I had a 6 inch pillow of foam coming out of the top of my bucket (lid resting comfortably on top) LOL. Fermentation is going strong and looking forward to putting this in the keg. Great color going into the fermentor!

One question I have is how long is everyone giving to let this mature? I was thinking about going two weeks in primary, two weeks in secondary and then into the keg? Should I give it more time then that?

Look forward to your response and thanks again for what looks like a great recipe.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

I brewed this on 8/19 and bottled after around 4 weeks. Took another 6 weeks before it really started tasting good, although it was definitely drinkable at 3.

I concur. This comes into it's own after about 6 weeks in the bottle. Less if you do a long primary or secondary.

Ok stupid question here, so I made this several months ago and it has been sitting in the secondary since November 5th, do you think I waited too long? Just looking for reassurance more than anything. I have not even looked at it, so I don't even know what it looks like. So if I don't see any nasty things in it, I should be good to go?

Just the usual way. Dissolve your priming sugar in a small amount of water on the stove. Pour that into your bottling bucket and rack the beer onto it. Then bottle away.

I am going to make this soon, with a few minor differences.

Based on 80% efficiency, here's where I'm at (AG).

8 lbs pale malt
1 lb munich
1 lb special b
.5 lb biscuit
.5 lb flaked barley instead of carapils

1oz Williamette @ 50 min.
1 oz Williamette @15 min.

Wyeast English Ale (An LHBS sent me a $3 discount birthday card)

OG 1.057
IBU 23
SRM 21

I'm thinking of mashing at 155* for body.
Thanks for the inspiration!

How would changing the above recipe affect the beer if I swapped the 8lbs of pale malt for 8lbs of 2 row?

I have a sack of 2 row and the hops already so this would be a cheap brew for me to do.

Thanks

My guess would be to add a bit more biscuit and a bit more munich or not. Im shure as is would still work good.Pale malt is just slightly more toasted or kilned or whatever so upping the bisquit may give you the like but still will be slightly different anyway you do it,still should be good. I wouldnt fret it.

My guess would be to add a bit more biscuit and a bit more munich or not. Im shure as is would still work good.Pale malt is just slightly more toasted or kilned or whatever so upping the bisquit may give you the like but still will be slightly different anyway you do it,still should be good. I wouldnt fret it.

Thanks! I will give it a shot. Maybe this weekend we will see.

So I bottled this on Wednesday and I will say it was the best tasting Brown I have ever done going into the bottles. It had a little warmth to it which I find interesting with a lower ABV beer, anyone else getting a hint of warmth with theirs? It's not off putting or extremely noticeable, almost just the right amount...like a winter warmer. Looking forward to opening this up in a few weeks.

Great thread, I've been looking t do a good brown ale. Ive done 2 from kits that tasted a bit thin. Might have been my techniques though. I brewed them early on in my home brewing ventures. Looking for something like the fans of it here are describing its flavor. I may give this a shot this week, Thanks for the recipe ChshreCat.

Getting ready to go with this again. It is the only extract that I ever do now. I'm going to go with the Wyeast Bier de Garde that I will harvest from my present brew or maybe wyeast 1968

I just brewed my all-grain version of this recipe, for about the fifth time. It's been about a year since the previous go-round, and it's always popular. So the time is right!

Cheers!

I just brewed my all-grain version of this recipe, for about the fifth time. It's been about a year since the previous go-round, and it's always popular. So the time is right!

Cheers!
And now that it's done, bottled, and carbed, I wonder why it took so long to get back to it.

Latest posts

Back