The Baby-Bottle-Nipple MLT Gasket Method w/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
So I had a 22qt. cooler sitting around that we sometimes use for camping, a day at the lake, etc. It's really too small to bring much though, so I figured, why not make a mash-tun?!?

Like most/many people I ordered the bulkhead kit form bargainfittings.com, all very high quality stuff I might add. However my cooler didn't originally have a spigot, so there was no pre-existing rubber gasket, and the walls had a lot of flex between them.

I read, and I read, and I tried this and that...I coated the threads with ptfe tape, I assembled the parts every which way...it kept leaking (underneath the nipple between the cooler wall and nipple, which meant liquid in the insulation).

I saw where a few people had used baby bottle nipples for a gasket on the inner wall of the cooler. Finally last night I picked up a two pack. These are the smaller nipples, not the huge 3" jobbies.

Here is an illustration of where I cut the nipple and then a few pics of the assembly. I can happily report no leaks!
The little flange left by cutting the nipple this way actually seats it in the SS washer. I'm using 1/2" hardware, too, FYI.

The PVC goes between the two cooler walls. You make the outer wall hole slightly larger. It's a 1/2" PVC union, actually, but I'm told 3/4" PVC works too. So from outside to inside the assembly goes:
Ball valve, SS washer, PVC/Union,inner cooler wall, baby-bottle-nipple gasket, ss washer, locknut.

babybottlenipplesm1.jpg

47184d1328802045-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094042.jpg

47185d1328802064-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094102.jpg

47186d1328802072-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094110.jpg

I've got nipple gaskets on HLT, MLT, and Keggle. No leaks, and they work extremely well. Plus it was so much cheaper to make my own than to buy a weldless fitting. But it did take some experimentation to get to the solid, no-leaking version.

sweet, 3rd and final kid is finally off bottles, I am re-purpose a few of these before I trash em.

Keep them indefinitely! They're 100% silicone and thus food-grade and high-temp (boiling+) safe!

Awesome! I wish I had thought of this sooner. I've got a whole grocery bag full of baby bottle stuff that we just haven't gotten around to throwing out yet. Time to raid the nipples...

Now if you could just find some way to use that old breast pump for brewing, you'll be all set! ;)

SUUPPPERRR Slow pump for single-tier system? Nah, probably get fried by the heat. Breastmilk slightly cooler than wort :cross:

Just noticed on that picture of baby-bottle nipple (I found that doign google search)...don't pay attention to the black dotted lines or numbers. They came with the image. The red dashed line is where I cut it.

Back