Citra with Amarillo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
In the flavor and the aroma additions, does this combination work well or do they fight each other for their place in the flavor and/or aroma profiles? In my experience with Amarillo, very pit-fruit character like peach-mango-apricot etc... in reading about citras they sound similar. My question is whether or not they compliment each other or if they are like 2 positive ends of a magnet trying to repel each other.. if that makes sense.

They work very well together in my opinion. I make an Amarillo-Citra pale ale that everyone agrees is very good. I posted the recipe for another member and after he made it said it was one of the best beers he's made so far. If you want the recipe, I can dig the post up for you. Cheers!
tom

I just brewed up a "Grapefruit Pale Ale" in which I have 0.5 oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, and Citra first wort hopped (also 0.5 oz Simcoe boiled for 60 minutes). It just finished fermenting and last night I took a sample. The aroma was amazing! It was like pineapple/mango/tropical fruit. For only FWH (no late additions) I was very impressed! I would say most of the aroma was contributed by the Citra -- it seems to be more potent on a per weight basis. For more of a balance, I'd go 2 parts amarillo for 1 citra.

The flavor was spot on grapefruit (which is what I was going for). From this experience, I would certainly say that they play well together. I can't wait to dry hop with the same combo that I first wort hopped with. Go for it!

How long did you boil the amarillo, cascade, and citra for? 60 minutes as well?

TomRep please post your recipe. I bottled my Simtra IPA two weeks ago and tasted one at the 7 day mark in bottles. BEST IPA I have ever had. Used Simcoe and Citra hops both in the boil and dry hopped

How long did you boil the amarillo, cascade, and citra for? 60 minutes as well?

TomRep please post your recipe. I bottled my Simtra IPA two weeks ago and tasted one at the 7 day mark in bottles. BEST IPA I have ever had. Used Simcoe and Citra hops both in the boil and dry hopped

Yep, 60 minute boil.

Do you have a link for your recipe for Simtra IPA? That sounds interesting as well!

Here is the recipe (extract)

This is a great IPA that I brewed a little over 6 weeks ago. It turned out PERFECT. It utilizes one of the trendiest hops right now Citra with one of my favorite hops, Simcoe.

8.5 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
.75 lbs Crystal 50L
.25 Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
.50 lbs Wheat Malt

1.5 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (60 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (15 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (5 min)
.50 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (dry hop - secondary)
.50 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (dry hop - secondary)

1.00 tsp Gypsum (60 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (20 min)

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Final ABV in my batch was 6.9%

Great hoppy beer, with enough tartness from the grapefruit notes in the citrus to really bring it all together. One of the best beers I have ever made!

So with yours you had 4 hops boil for 60 minutes?

Very good combo. See my dropdown for my personal recipe that has been very well received in the hb community.

Here is the recipe (extract)

This is a great IPA that I brewed a little over 6 weeks ago. It turned out PERFECT. It utilizes one of the trendiest hops right now Citra with one of my favorite hops, Simcoe.

8.5 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
.75 lbs Crystal 50L
.25 Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
.50 lbs Wheat Malt

1.5 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (60 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (15 min)
.75 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (5 min)
.50 oz Simcoe whole AA%12.9 (dry hop - secondary)
.50 oz Citra pellet AA%11.10 (dry hop - secondary)

1.00 tsp Gypsum (60 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (20 min)

WLP007 Dry English Ale

Final ABV in my batch was 6.9%

Great hoppy beer, with enough tartness from the grapefruit notes in the citrus to really bring it all together. One of the best beers I have ever made!

So with yours you had 4 hops boil for 60 minutes?

That looks like a nice recipe. It seems like the perception with Citra is that it's best for flavor and aroma rather than bittering. Since Simcoe has a reasonably low cohumulone content, it makes sense to use that as your primary boiling hop. I'll have to keep something like that in mind.

Yes, so I threw the Amarillo, Cascade, and Citra in with the first wort runnings. Sparged, then brought to a boil and threw in the Simcoe. Boiled for 60 minutes, threw in zest of 1 grapefruit at flameout, then cooled.

You don't have a converted extract version do you? Haven't made the leap yet to AG due to space limitations and such but that looks tasty!

Scotty - Do you have a link to your full recipe? I assume by your response it is AG and I have only been doing extract w/grains so far.

Yep, here's a link:

http://hopville.com/recipe/349560/american-ipa-recipes/grapefruit-ipa

It's all grain but can be easily converted by substituting the pale two-row with DME (7 lbs DME assuming 42 ppg). Let me know if you end up brewing it -- would love to hear how another's turns out.

I don't know about the beet juice?! Eeek - also did you find the gelatin added anything to this for you? Never have been a fan of it.

Other than that it looks great - what LME would you use with this?

So, to be a truly grapefruity, I wanted this beer to be pink. Magic Hat says they use beet juice it to color their Wacko beer pink. In my case, I added just the liquid from canned beets. However, I added it too early in the boil and it seemed to just stain the lupulin glands. It didn't actually impart any flavor. So by all means, scratch the "beet juice." Last night I experimented with some pink food coloring and that's definitely going to work. So I'll add that at bottling.

Gelatin I use to clear up the beer. I've used it on the past couple beers I've made and they turned out darn clear. It's certainly optional.

I'm not well versed on different types of LME. I would use the lightest you can find if you want to make the color pink. Otherwise, I think about any pale/light malt extract would be fine. Note that the 7 lbs. I quoted above is for DME. For LME, you'd need a bit more.

So, to be a truly grapefruity, I wanted this beer to be pink. Magic Hat says they use beet juice it to color their Wacko beer pink. In my case, I added just the liquid from canned beets. However, I added it too early in the boil and it seemed to just stain the lupulin glands. It didn't actually impart any flavor. So by all means, scratch the "beet juice." Last night I experimented with some pink food coloring and that's definitely going to work. So I'll add that at bottling.

Gelatin I use to clear up the beer. I've used it on the past couple beers I've made and they turned out darn clear. It's certainly optional.

I'm not well versed on different types of LME. I would use the lightest you can find if you want to make the color pink. Otherwise, I think about any pale/light malt extract would be fine. Note that the 7 lbs. I quoted above is for DME. For LME, you'd need a bit more.

This sounds great! I forgot the equation for DME to LME but I will figure it out - I think I am going to brew this one tomorrow.

Where do you find pink food coloring? at my local stores they only have the standard red/yellow/green/blue. How much are you going to use for the 5gal batches?

That was my initial plan - but sounded like you had pink, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks

My wife gets them at Michael's. Like I said, they're in gel-form and supposedly more concentrated than just the liquid colorings. She uses them for cakes, etc. The brand is called Wilton's:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3e30b2d9-475a-bac0-5d5c3db846dfd354

I tried just a tiny dab of the "Rose" color on the end of a toothpick and it turned 1 oz of beer very pink. I'll just mix some of the gel in vodka before bottling and play with it until I get the color I want. I'll try and post the results in a couple weeks.

i have been experimenting with Citra a bit and it seems to get better, at least for me if you let the beer age/condition a bit. At first i did not like it, but after about 3 weeks in the Corney, it got better. i'm finishing up a keg right now. I'm thinking of combining with Columbus dry hopped

I have been doing a double ipa with simcoe , citra, and amarillo.
Dry hopped and flavored with all 3.

Great combo.

Last CDA was with Centennial and Simcoe, followed by Amarillo at 4 minutes and Citra Dry Hop.

Un-Freaking Real.

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, kinda forgot about this thread. Here is my Amarillo Citra recipe, allgrain.

Tom

Amarillo/Citra Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 12.000 gal
Boil Size: 14.500 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 82%
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.5%
Bitterness: 43.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 7 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 20.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 40 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 13.2% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr 21.2
Amarillo 7.5% 0.750 oz Boil 30.000 min 6.9
Citra, leaf 12.0% 0.625 oz Boil 20.000 min 7.3
Amarillo 7.5% 0.750 oz Boil 10.000 min 3.3
Citra, leaf 12.0% 0.625 oz Boil 10.000 min 4.4
Amarillo, leaf 9.4% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1 week
Citra, leaf 12.0% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1 week

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Target Time
Infusion 153.000 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge- Infusion 165.200 F 30.000 min

Tom, that's almost exactly what I did on the hop schedule, minus the bittering hops, as mine was only a 6 gallon batch, got my IBU's from the later additions. Dryhopping will be the same, and used the same yeast as well. Instead of carapils, I went with similar amount of light munich.

I hope it's awesome, it's only my #2 AG, I hope I can come back and talk about how awesome it is.

So its' pretty much the same, yours just won't have much, if any, bitterness to it. I'm sure it will be fine! Report back (or shoot me a PM) to let me/us know how it turns out!
tom

Here's what I actually did:

6.25 gallon batch

10# Pearl (UK Pale, according to LHBS)
10 oz C-40
18 oz Munich 5L
I got 61% efficiency, so 1.044 was my post-boil gravity. I expect to have a 4.5% ABV beer with SRM around 6.

Hops:

.5 oz Citra 12.3% AA 30 min
.5 oz Amarillo 9.1% 25 min
.25oz Citra 12.3% AA 25 min
.5 oz Amarillo 9.1% AA 20 min
.25 oz Amarillo 9.1% AA 15 min

( My secret calculator gives me 41 IBU from that, in accordance to BJCP style for APA, although I'm on the low side of ABV, but just squeaking in)

Irish Moss at 15 min.

1.25 oz Citra available for dryhop
1.75 oz Amarillo available for dryhop

I've got half a mind to use it all for dryhopping, I didn't use any flameout or <5 min additions. The safale US05 is bubbling along, and due to wonderful weather here, I'm able to keep it fermenting in the upper 60's relatively easily.

I also brewed a cirta amarillo pale ale a few months back, and im now enjoying one of the better beers I have ever brewed

Back