Keezer build - hinge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new 7.2 cf freezer from sears for my keezer build. So far i just have a 4x3' piece of 1/2" OSB board glued and bolted to the top and it is already too heavy for the hinges to stay up. Does this seem right? I have heaerd of a lot of freezers being able to hold up a collar.

Also, do you think it would be possible to add a second set of hinges to help hold the weight up ro would it not really be worth it?

One of the two hinges is spring loaded and the tension is adjustable. Look up inside the hinge brackets and you will see that one has a threaded rod with a nut. Turn the nut to increase the tension. There is a limit to how much tension you can apply, so this may not solve the problem. You may be able to buy a second hinge set and use two or more of the tensioning hinges to counter the extra weight you added. What is the purpose of the OSB board? Might be better to simply build a collar of 2 X 4' material and attach hinges to the collar. That's the way I did it and it works well for me.

I attached a sheet of plywood across my entire lid, and a 2x4 collar, and after adjusting the springs in the hinges the lid will stay open. I can tell that it is about maxed out though. My freezer is 10.5 cu ft, but it might work for you too, depending how the brands vary.

i dont want a collar. I am building a "bar top" with an "irish coffin" so i'llbe drilling directly through the freezer top.

The irish coffin on top should help balance the weight some, but I think several folks use a stick of some description to prop the lid open.

The lid doesnt stay open at all with the OSB board on it. The board only weighs a few pounds. I was hopen it would stay open antil i was finished with my pre build. I assumed it wouldn't stay open with the coffin.

I think my 7.2 cf freezer pro'ly has weak hinges. I'll try the adjusting method and might buy another set to help support the weight as it opens.

I tried to find/buy additional hinges for my GE freezer to give my collar/lid some additional support too. They are out there, but the prices I found (for my model at least) were cost-prohibitive. So, I've resorted to just positioning my keezer next to a wall so that the wall supports the lid/collar when I open it. :(

So, I've resorted to just positioning my keezer next to a wall so that the wall supports the lid/collar when I open it. :(
That's how mine works. It's on 4 swivel casters so I can easily pull it out as far as I need to to open it so the lid rests against the wall, then push it back against the wall when done. I'm hoping the rebuild of my lid allows the hinges to support it.

Latest posts

Back