Need help with chicken pot pie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have to make the world's best chicken pot pie in a month.

Here's the challenging part, though- I'll be making it at home, and taking it to a friend's camp about 200 miles away.

I need to prepare it in advance, and take it. The issue is that it will be out of the freezer, and only in a cooler, from 7 AM on. There is no electricity at the cottage, so no freezer there either, just coolers.

I want to make the crust and freeze it, thinking it will thaw on the way. I wanted to make the whole thing and freeze it, but I think it would partially (or mostly) thaw, and the crust would get soggy.

So not only do I need the best recipe that is stick-to-your-ribs, but innovative and a bit gourmet, but something that can be prepared a day in advance and then put together and baked at camp.

I was thinking of a savory crust, with butter instead of lard/crisco but not too much savory-ness, if that makes sense. Nothing spicy, as we have three Swedes in the group. :D I thought I'd make the crust, roll it out between sheets of wax paper, and freeze. Then make the filling, with the traditional chicken pot pie ingredients. I think baby bella mushrooms would be a good addition as well.

Dessert will be pumpkin pie-ish bars with a shortbread cookie crust, but I did consider pumpkin flan so as to not have two "crusts" in a meal but that won't be as easy to make in advance.

Please help me! I want this to be great, but easy to just put together and put in the oven at camp. Thank you!

Ok. Here's what I would do. Do you have a Dutch oven? Freeze the crust and the filling separate for transport. You could use a biscuit type crust - mix the fat/flour at home and freeze and mix the liquid on site.

I never had good luck with all butter crusts, for chicken pot pie I always use some bacon grease or lard. I think the problem with using all butter is butter has water in it, texture is never right. Maybe margarine? A food processor is the best way to incorporate the cold fat for sure.

For the filling I use dark meat, I know everyone else wants white meat, but I think dark meat offers more flavor, and it's cheaper. I put all kinds of things in my filling, but mushrooms and celery are not optional!! If I want a good hardy meal I may even sneak some potatoes in there.

I hope your crust survives the journey, I am worried for it.

Easy. Make up a lard crust but don't roll it out until you get there. Just keep it on ice. Make the filling ahead of time including partial cooking of anything you want tender crisp. Assemble on site and detonate.

Yooper,

I make a kick a$$ pot pie. I use the recipe from The Joy of Cooking for the crust. It can't be beat! :fro:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortning
1 stick butter
1/3 cup ice water

My wife and I have a hobby farm where we raise Chickens and turkeys. It is just the two of us at home now and when we roast a bird for a meal, there is always a ton of leftovers, so we often use them to make pot pies for the freezer.

I can't help you with a recipe for the filling as I never use one, but I would suggest that you use some broccolli in them, as it always seems to be a hit at our house. If you freeze them you might want to shy away from using potatoes as they tend to get a little grainy after freezing. Also, if you really want "great" chicken flavor, find a local farmer that will sell you a chicken that is an egg laying breed. I use them to make a stock and then add some regular super market chicken for the meat ( the egg layers are a firmer meat, some even say tougher). The egg layer breeds take much longer to get to butcher size than do the meat types, and because of that, have a more intense "chicken" flavor.

We always make the pot pies in Corell soup bowls and put them in the freezer. Any Pyrex type dish works though. After they freeze we even take them out of the bowls, and bag them, and then put them back in the freezer so we can have the bowls back in the cupboard. :off: They tend to stay frozen for a long time, if left on the counter to thaw, and would likely stay nearly frozen solid if properly packed in a cooler, for a day or more. They tend to come out better when cooked from frozen, rather than thawed first. Just be sure to put them back in the bowl before baking, and spray the bowl liberly with cooking spray, they tend to stick like glue!

:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

How about seeing some of these recipes? I would like to pre-make pot pies for when we don't have much time for meal preparation. I have an idea of making the crusts with a butter flavored shortening instead of using real butter, rolling it into flats and freezing it. Thaw and put into the pie pans. For the insides, I want to try doing all preparation work, put measured quantities into vacuum bags and sous vide for pasteurization. This should store well in the refrigerator for a week or two without changing the texture of potatoes.

Melana gave you the good advice, make the crust and filling separately and only combine them when it's time to cook.

This is my go to recipe, I do at least one huge batch every year. I sometimes don't do the biscuit top. What I like about it is that the way of cooking it keeps the flavors separate and the veggies have some al dente quality to them.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/1985-Chicken-Pie-with-Biscuit-Crust-11056

Mangia!

Melana gave you the good advice, make the crust and filling separately and only combine them when it's time to cook.

This is my go to recipe, I do at least one huge batch every year. I sometimes don't do the biscuit top. What I like about it is that the way of cooking it keeps the flavors separate and the veggies have some al dente quality to them.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/1985-Chicken-Pie-with-Biscuit-Crust-11056

Mangia!

Oh, that might work even better for me than the traditional two-crust pot pie. I can make it in advance, and throw the biscuit crust together when it's time to bake.

Oh, that might work even better for me than the traditional two-crust pot pie. I can make it in advance, and throw the biscuit crust together when it's time to bake.

There is one thing in the recipe that I think is a mistake. When I make it now I make sure the filling is bubbling hot before I put the biscuit topping on.

When I made it the way it's described, the tops of the biscuits were done nicely, but the bottoms were a gooey, doughy mess.

With the filling piping hot, it cooks from both top and bottom.

Yooper,

I make a kick a$$ pot pie. I use the recipe from The Joy of Cooking for the crust. It can't be beat! :fro:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortning
1 stick butter
1/3 cup ice water

My wife and I have a hobby farm where we raise Chickens and turkeys. It is just the two of us at home now and when we roast a bird for a meal, there is always a ton of leftovers, so we often use them to make pot pies for the freezer.

I can't help you with a recipe for the filling as I never use one, but I would suggest that you use some broccolli in them, as it always seems to be a hit at our house. If you freeze them you might want to shy away from using potatoes as they tend to get a little grainy after freezing. Also, if you really want "great" chicken flavor, find a local farmer that will sell you a chicken that is an egg laying breed. I use them to make a stock and then add some regular super market chicken for the meat ( the egg layers are a firmer meat, some even say tougher). The egg layer breeds take much longer to get to butcher size than do the meat types, and because of that, have a more intense "chicken" flavor.

We always make the pot pies in Corell soup bowls and put them in the freezer. Any Pyrex type dish works though. After they freeze we even take them out of the bowls, and bag them, and then put them back in the freezer so we can have the bowls back in the cupboard. :off: They tend to stay frozen for a long time, if left on the counter to thaw, and would likely stay nearly frozen solid if properly packed in a cooler, for a day or more. They tend to come out better when cooked from frozen, rather than thawed first. Just be sure to put them back in the bowl before baking, and spray the bowl liberly with cooking spray, they tend to stick like glue!

:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

Now I'm torn! I love the recipe for that crust.

We get our chickens (meat chickens, not layers) from a friend. We don't really have a choice as to what kind they are- she doesn't slaughter her layers, ever. (Weird, but true).

Tip. If you wish for a super flaky melt in your mouth crust that will impress all.... Substitute half of the water in the recipe with vodka.

I love chicken pot pies made with pie crusts. Almost a no compromise on any other kind of crust. I trust most recipes made by America's Test Kitchen as great.

If you get a chance to watch their video of Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crust watch it. This one is kind of a casserole dish with crumbled pie crust (don't worry the pepper won't kill the swedes). Casserole dishes might not be quite gourmet but it was goooood.

You do have gourmet Umami and savory with the tomato paste and soy sauce. Crust is made with butter (pictures don't make it look as good as it is) and has mushrooms in it. I also added extra veggies.

You could probably reheat the filling up there and then toss the savory crust on top and throw it in the oven.

http://foodfolksandfun.net/2011/02/chicken-pot-pie-with-savory-crumble/

Tip. If you wish for a super flaky melt in your mouth crust that will impress all.... Substitute half of the water in the recipe with vodka.

I've never heard that before. Awesome! I will try that for sure.

I love chicken pot pies made with pie crusts. Almost a no compromise on any other kind of crust. I trust most recipes made by America's Test Kitchen as great.

If you get a chance to watch their video of Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crust watch it. This one is kind of a casserole dish with crumbled pie crust (don't worry the pepper won't kill the swedes). Casserole dishes might not be quite gourmet but it was goooood.

You do have gourmet Umami and savory with the tomato paste and soy sauce. Crust is made with butter (pictures don't make it look as good as it is) and has mushrooms in it. I also added extra veggies.

You could probably reheat the filling up there and then toss the savory crust on top and throw it in the oven.

http://foodfolksandfun.net/2011/02/chicken-pot-pie-with-savory-crumble/

That looks great, too! Oh, geez, this is not helping me here! :D

Yooper. Ive been cooking professionally 30 yrs and camp a lot. Go with rhumbline. place your pre-made hot mixture in a baking dish and top it with a simple crust or biscuit and brown it in a camp stove. Just make sure the thickness of the hot filling is at the consistency you want it. I can see you all now sitting around a campfire on a cool night with steaming bowls and a homebrew. God I wish I was there.

Yooper. Ive been cooking professionally 30 yrs and camp a lot. Go with rhumbline. place your pre-made hot mixture in a baking dish and top it with a simple crust or biscuit and brown it in a camp stove. Just make sure the thickness of the hot filling is at the consistency you want it. I can see you all now sitting around a campfire on a cool night with steaming bowls and a homebrew. God I wish I was there.

Well, while his camp is rustic, he has 3000 acres and it's quite a nice camp! There is a nice propane stove and oven, a well for running water, and a big enough generator to power the lights and things we need, etc, so we won't be sitting outside at all. :D

It's his annual "bird camp", which involves gourmet meals (except for the Thursday night dinner, when I bring something in that is quick and hearty), great wine, big fires in the great big stone fireplace, and some grouse hunting.

We normally have 5 courses for the dinners, with accompanying wine, dinner music (via my Ipod and his stereo) and later coffee and cognac. It's not exactly "roughing it"!

Oh, wait- we do rough it in one way! I bring a "redneck kegerator". It's set up in an igloo cooler, and outside on the front enclosed porch. Two picnic taps, attached with zipties to a lattice for easy dispensing. Plus- I'm only bringing two kegs. :D

Cool to around 68 degrees, pitch 200 billion yeast cells, and ferment. You should be okay.

This thread is full of win.

Chicken Pot Pie is near the very top of my favorite food list. I think I may have to try a few of these suggestions out myself.

This is usually my base and I add to it from there...
Stew
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat (see note)
Table salt and ground black pepper
2teaspoons vegetable oil
2 small onions, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 celery rib, medium, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1/4cup dry sherry
6cups low-sodium chicken broth
1teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1pound chicken wings (see note)
1/4cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Well, while his camp is rustic, he has 3000 acres and it's quite a nice camp! There is a nice propane stove and oven, a well for running water, and a big enough generator to power the lights and things we need, etc, so we won't be sitting outside at all. :D

It's his annual "bird camp", which involves gourmet meals (except for the Thursday night dinner, when I bring something in that is quick and hearty), great wine, big fires in the great big stone fireplace, and some grouse hunting.

We normally have 5 courses for the dinners, with accompanying wine, dinner music (via my Ipod and his stereo) and later coffee and cognac. It's not exactly "roughing it"!

Oh, wait- we do rough it in one way! I bring a "redneck kegerator". It's set up in an igloo cooler, and outside on the front enclosed porch. Two picnic taps, attached with zipties to a lattice for easy dispensing. Plus- I'm only bringing two kegs. :D

Sucks to be you :rolleyes:

This is usually my base and I add to it from there...
Stew
6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat (see note)
Table salt and ground black pepper
2teaspoons vegetable oil
2 small onions, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 celery rib, medium, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1/4cup dry sherry
6cups low-sodium chicken broth
1teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1pound chicken wings (see note)
1/4cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

The weather here is cold and rainy, and Bob cooked a whole chicken (a big one!) for dinner tonight, so we're going to have chicken pot pie tomorrow. I'm basing it off of this recipe for the "body", but will try a biscuit crust. This is our "trial run" of the pot pie for camp next weekend.

We're making apple pie for dessert for the camp guests next week, and I didn't want a two-crust chicken pot pie followed by a two-crust apple pie! I tried to convince Bob of a different dessert, but since I make pie about twice a year he would not be swayed, so it's pie and pie for two courses. :drunk:

I'd go with a single crust pot pie. Phyllo may not make the best crust. We're i to do it I'd brush with olive oil between the layers and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Keep the two separate until serving. Pot pie Napoleons anyone?

Uh... Crumble top pie??

Yeah, I know, it's more sugar, but it's so good!

And for the record, I am FOR two pie dinners! Chicken pot pie and apple pie are two of my favorites!

Wait, if you do a biscuit top pot pie and a crumble top apple pie, that's only two crusts total!

I'd go with a single crust pot pie. Phyllo may not make the best crust. We're i to do it I'd brush with olive oil between the layers and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Keep the two separate until serving. Pot pie Napoleons anyone?

Puff pastry makes a lovely crust.

OR.... You could serve him the pot pie in a bread bowl...

Hahaha- even another choice to make me rethink this whole thing. :drunk:

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it!

Tonight, I'll make a small pot pie with the biscuit crust on top, and see how Bob likes that. It'll be a test run. We picked some fresh oyster mushrooms yesterday, so I'll saute' those in butter and add them to the filling.

Mangia!

I made this recipe (with some minor modifications) as our "test run". It was really good, and Bob especially liked the biscuits.

I will need to make more gravy, as it turned out a bit dry inside, and change up some seasoning to our taste but otherwise it turned out really good.

Now, I can turn my attention to apple pie and crust recipes...................:D

Hey Yooper,

I'm a bit of a foodie too. I found this guy on Youtube who has great recipes (or ideas as I call them because I rarely follow recipes to a T).
Anyway, I haven't tried his pie crust yet, but it looks like it comes out amazing!
Here is the link:

I'm going to try it as soon as I get over the amount of butter you need to use. Would be good for a savory or sweet pie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent instructional video! Only thing I would add is to refrigerate after every step... The trick with nice flaky crust is cold butter. It's a process.

Excellent instructional video! Only thing I would add is to refrigerate after every step... The trick with nice flaky crust is cold butter. It's a process.

+1 I've never used a frozen crust and every thing I've ever read or seen about pie crust is cold butter/shortening/lard and COLD water when forking the crust.

I've gone so far as to use half bacon grease for the fat and it turned out just fine (imagine that!)

My wife still prefers a crumble top pie. I sometimes get fancy and lattice the top or cut out a design from the leftover crust and put it on top, or just cut out a cool shape for the vent hole.

You *could* make several smaller pies in individual serving cups and decorate with different things, like make one crumble, one lattice, etc. But only if you like doing more work...

Back